kitchen table math, the sequel: Argh!

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Argh!

Well that didn't work well. When I got Ken's email about the data, I was furiously working on a very large data set in SPSS with a deadline approaching quickly. So I downloaded the Wisconsin data, ran the stats and posted.

Oops. When I opened the data in Excel (with SPSS running in the background) I didn't see either the "number advanced" or "% advanced" columns because they ran off the right edge of my screen, and for some reason on this laptop, Excel and SPSS do not play nicely together with the video card. So if I want to scroll while running both, I have to do little tricks like minimize both, then bring up Excel.

Anyway, I corrected the error. Hurriedly. Because I'm dealing with a deadline.

If you want to run ANOVA (most stats tests) in Excel, it requires that the input data be in a contiguous block. So to run ANOVA, I had copied and pasted the data to another worksheet, and guess what? Some of it was the original % proficient data.

Anyway, it's fixed now, and I can go back to SPSS.

No comments: