kitchen table math, the sequel: school boards behaving badly

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

school boards behaving badly

A picture is worth a thousand words.

It's all here.

The silencing of parents and taxpayers.

The righteous rejection of accountability (a school superintendent who cannot be criticized "in public").

The standing rule that parents can speak for themselves only,* followed by the dismissal of parent concerns as merely "personal."

And, finally, the core belief that school personnel possess a natural right to do what they want to do.

No matter what.


that said .....

That said, I'll add that I've seen nothing as bad as this in Irvington. Not even close.

Of course, I also haven't seen anyone with the ba*** to ask whether the Board is planning on rehiring the superintendent right in the middle of a board meeting.

Whoa.

I wonder what the school board will make of this parent?

If they're smart, they'll realize she is trouble-with-a-capital T.

She's not the only one.

Back to Irvingtonland, I gather there are quite a few parents in town who want to see the district move to something more akin to a business model.

Good idea! (I think.) In the business model -- not that I know anything about the business model -- I believe folks have the expression, "Make it go away."

That's what this school board needs to do with this superintendent -- and with this parent.

[ ummmm..... I'm not saying the parent should "go away." I'm saying the problem this parent represents should go away. ]

The superintendent needs to move on to another district; the board needs to move on to other business. They need to dump TERC, Connected Math, and whatever constructivist text they're using in the high school (I assume this parent was exercised about something to do with TERC, though I don't know) and be done with it.

Make it go away.

School boards and administrators need to develop street smarts.

Yes, on paper it says that boards and administrators wield absolute power.

But in reality no one wields absolute power, not even the most brutal totalitarian dictators (something we'd all know if our schools taught history instead of social studies).

Administrators and school boards need to start horse trading like the rest of the world.


update

Actually, there are probably plenty of savvy administrators who know how to horse trade, and who do horse trade.

Or, perhaps more likely, there are probably plenty of savvy administrators with the political good sense to pick and choose their battles.

Probably school boards, too.

That's not what we see in this video.

________________


* hit refresh a couple of times if page doesn't appear

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catherine said, "But in reality no one wields absolute power, not even the most brutal totalitarian dictators (something we'd all know if our schools taught history instead of social studies)."

True, but at least they do teach about the principle of free speech. I feel it is my parental duty to be a good model and reinforce this concept for my kids. Home to school connection at its finest. That parent was doing likewise.

If they stop teaching free speech, then I'll really be worried!

Catherine Johnson said...

I'd love to know what the free speech lessons are like....

Our middle school, which is highly autocratic (so autocratic that one of the kids circulated a petition saying the school doesn't respect freedom) has the kids read THE CHOCOLATE WAR in 8th grade.

I haven't read it, but it seems to be about a boy who righteously defies his middle school.

Something like that