kitchen table math, the sequel: DIY

Monday, July 2, 2007

DIY




in case you were thinking about making your own butter

I personally had not been thinking about making my own butter, but now that I've read the article and skimmed the recipes I am. (Thinking about it, that is.)

Somebody stop me before I strike again.

Speaking of which, I'm still making most of our bread. I have a loaf in the oven right now, as a matter of fact.


update: from Barry

I can always tell when you're working on your book. You always end up making butter or something.

I'm filing that comment in the "Mammas don't let your babies grow up to be writers" category.

Just so you know.

7 comments:

Barry Garelick said...

I can always tell when you're working on your book. You always end up making butter or something.

Anonymous said...

The primary objective of AshwoodUniversity is to provide the best opportunities for working professionals to boost their careers and improve their livelihood. Over 5,000 working adults have already successfully received accredited degrees from AshwoodUniversity.

Catherine Johnson said...

Hey!

I wonder if I should go check out Ashwood University??

Right now!?

EvilMathTeacher said...

Chef Husband couldn't wait to get to work and make butter in the professional kitchen. His colleagues were equally as excited to do the same.

Barry Garelick said...

I understand Ashwood has a good butter making seminar.

Independent George said...

I already make my own whipped cream; I suppose this is the logical next step. Same process, only a few minutes longer.

Rudbeckia Hirta said...

I made my own butter when I was living in Ithaca, NY (circa 2002). Here are the steps that I followed:

1. Drive to Smith farm and buy raw milk.

2. Bring milk home and let sit in fridge until cream rises to the top.

3. Skim off cream into glass jar with tight-fitting lid. Shake jar until butter forms.

4. Strain butter-buttermilk mixture in cheesecloth, form butter into coherent mass, return everything to fridge.

:)