kitchen table math, the sequel: And Now For Some Good News

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

And Now For Some Good News

I've done my share of complaining about the standards set in the public schools. I thought I should also share something really positive. About a week ago, I heard a presentation by the middle school principal. This is a new guy, he's only had the job 2 years and came from outside the district. His presentation was the annual School Improvement Plan required by NCLB.

I was bowled over, shocked into silence. Why? Simple.

He clearly, unequivocally took responsibility for student achievement.

I have never heard a school administrator do that before.
He didn't blame the students or the parents.
He didn't imply that this group of kids just wasn't as bright as the previous bunch.
He didn't blame his predecessor (and that would have been understandable).

What he did do was great. The plan is a "laser like focus" (his words) on improving writing skills. The Middle School teachers are analyzing the curriculum; they are using formative assessments; they are identifying struggling students (those without an IEP that are "proficient" but haven't mastered the content); then they are providing instruction based on results of the formative assessments.

Students are given extra help during the school day at times most convenient to the student, not the teacher or the administrator. If a student can come in early, they meet then, if after school or during a free period work better, that's when they schedule extra help. Students are identified, they are not expected to know themselves if they need extra help.

He ends with the statement, "Imagine what a tremendous gift it would be if we could send every student on to high school being able to write well."

I can't believe they hired this guy. In a system filled by an unabashed constructivist superintendent, we get this gem. I feel like I should write him a letter of support (even though I don't even have a kid in the middle school at the moment).

13 comments:

concernedCTparent said...

You should write him a letter. What he is doing takes courage and commitment. That's exhausting. Amazing what hearing a little support will do for your resolve.

LynnG said...

Ok.

I'll keep it short and sweet and print it on real paper. Not just e-mail.

I think I don't have to dread my daughter entering the middle school next year.

Still, he has an awful lot to fix. He acquired a complete constructivist middle school model school when he came 2 years. There is no magically way of transforming it over night.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I should write him a letter of support
If you can write the bad, then you have to write the good.

Although brave, why would he continue to fix a school without overt support from parents like you? He needs to hear the positive because he is going to have a heck of a fight on his hands. With no support in his corner, he will quickly fail.

LynnG said...

If you can write the bad, then you have to write the good.

Actually, I don't write to principals at all, good or bad.

At least I never have. I'm one of those quietly-teach-your-kids-at-home types. I don't seek confrontation, but I don't pat people on their backs for just doing their jobs either.

The only reason I would consider writing to the principal is because he was EXCEPTIONAL.

I am no where near as brave as Catherine.

Anonymous said...

why would he continue to fix a school without overt support from parents like you?

I mostly hang out at this blog because I enjoy the math posts, and I'm admittingly butting in here because this is sort of contentless politics. However, it's really interesting to me that there is so much resistence against parents. I would have thought, for example, that when research mathematicians and parents alike are openly criticizing a school for the math curriculum that the powers that be would "need their support" but it doesn't always seem to turn out that way.

Carry on.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with anon. I imagine he's going to be hit with massive opposition. At least if he knows that there are quiet, but involved parents out there, it could help him when the rough times come.

I'm no Catherine, either, but I did write a letter to the high school about a special ed teacher that I though was fantastic with my son. It turned out that it meant a great deal to him that I bothered.

concernedCTparent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
concernedCTparent said...

Lynn, I think that the fact that you don't have a child in his middle school gives your observations even greater weight. There will be no ulterior motive in making nice with the principal. It's not often that one comes across such genuine praise. When it does come along, you tend to treasure it for a long time.

Catherine Johnson said...

I TRY always to write when things are good, though I fall down on the job.

I owe C's ELA teacher last year a letter of thanks --- getting late in the day for that.

I did write the assistant superintendent about how much C. learned, though, so it's on record.

I MASSIVELY owe this year's social studies teacher a note -- he did diagnostic assessment at the beginning of the year!

I've also written two letters of recommendation, one for tenure here, and one for a position elsewhere.

Catherine Johnson said...

good lord

I just read this

To me, this is a fantasy; it's something that doesn't happen in the real world

A school taking responsibility for student learning

3 years ago, we were told exactly the opposite

the point of middle school, we were told, was going to be for middle school kids to "take ownership" of their learning, etc.

Catherine Johnson said...

How old is this new principal?

Catherine Johnson said...

I'm not sure he's going to have trouble....you'll just have to see.

It can't possibly be fun for teachers to have parents upset, kids upset, etc.

There are plenty of teachers in our middle school who have no problems with parents, who have universally good reputations, etc.

It's got to be a lot more fun to be them than to be a teacher who's constantly knocking heads with parents.

Catherine Johnson said...

Proof of pudding will be the writing assignments themselves.

Can they be done well without help from parents?