kitchen table math, the sequel: south of the border

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

south of the border

Dinah Zike's Teaching Science with Foldables
reviewed by Paloma Varela, Bridges, Mexico

When a friend of mine showed the materials that a publisher had sent her, my eyes gleamed like a leprechaun's eyes before his pot of gold. As I looked into the bag and glanced at the bounty my friend was sharing with me, I saw a title that caught my attention: Teaching Science with Foldables. When I opened it I noticed that, in fact, it was aimed at teaching not English, but science through Foldables. That was something extra that I was not expecting but I thought would certainly enhance the already positive values of the book. All at once, two main thoughts came to my mind: "Would it be easy to learn how to make them?" and "How can I use any of them in my day-to-day teaching?"

[snip]

In this book you will find a general tips for creating and using Foldables. Dinah Zike is an award-winning author, educator, educational consultant, and inventor, known internationally for these three-dimensional manipulatives made of everyday paper, glue, and scissors.

[snip]

Research has proven that students learn in different ways,* so by using these three-dimensional materials the senses are brought into learning: students can touch and move objects to make visual representations of concepts. Manipulatives provide the student with new ways of exploring a topic.

* Research has proved no such thing.


visual learning

foldables
why lawyers burn out
Independent George re: foldables
your tax dollars at work part 2
my busy day
not your father's formative assessment
remembering key concepts in math with foldables
south of the border
Steve H and palisadesk on foldables
homeschooling convention: no foldables

you may have to hit refresh a couple of times to load these pages:

21st century skills in Singapore
the master plan
horselaughs are heard in Singapore
more horselaughs in Singapore

3 comments:

LSquared32 said...

So...who's doing foldable's? What are they doing with them? Do we care? I had never heard of them before, though apparently there are a lot of them. I googled them just now to get some idea of what they were, and there seems to be less to them than it sounded like before I looked.

Catherine Johnson said...

Well, remember, redkudu's high school had been doing a folded House Poem project for years. Everyone had to do it as I recall.

I don't know if anyone here is doing them although our new math textbooks have lots of them.

That's where I first saw them.

Redkudu said...

We're constantly bombarded with these. Constantly. They are said to be a "differentiation" technique.