kitchen table math, the sequel: Bailing the creative writing train

Monday, September 1, 2008

Bailing the creative writing train


My ten year old was never obligated to write anything creative last year, her first year of being homeschooled. She worked on grammar (including outlining) and received writing instruction on the persuasive essay, personal narrative, outlining, summarizing and such, but not once was she ever assigned a creative writing piece. She responded to journal prompts such as “Share one of your most embarrassing moments,” or “Describe the perfect vacation,” for example, and the topics were always very concrete and specific.* She read a good range of quality writing both fiction and non-fiction. She modeled good writing through dictation exercises including The Gettysburg Address and the Declaration of Independence. She wasn't ever assigned a short story, asked to respond to some ambiguously touchy-feely prompt, or write about her innermost feelings.

She didn’t seem to miss it at all. Actually, she was genuinely relieved because the only thing that her previous writing instruction had taught her was that she was not a writer and now hated anything having to do with it.

I am happy to report that despite (and perhaps because of) the lack of creative writing instruction, her writing has improved significantly. Not only has she abandoned her temporary hatred of writing that caused her to freeze up at the mere mention of it, but ironically, she has decided to write a book. Not just any book, either. She's writing a book based on fantasy creatures that she has been conjuring up in her imagination for some time. She’s put together a cast of characters, is working on a glossary of terms that it seems she has invented, has got sketches and clip-art of characters to provide inspiration, and is typing her book into a publishing template. I have nothing to do with this project aside from helping her find the template.

This past year she wasn't taught or required to do creative writing, in fact, I’ve worked diligently to erase the damage such instruction has caused. I trusted that quality curricula and well chosen literature would be enough. It seems to have been an exquisitely perfect choice. Not only do I have a child who is learning to write thoughtfully and well, but I have a writer who chooses to write for the sheer joy of expressing herself.

I share this because I’m certain she wouldn’t be writing a book, or anything (fiction or otherwise) not required of her, if she had gone through another academic year of creative writing exercises of the Ed-school variety. By that I mean requiring more and more creative writing under the mistaken belief that ever increasing quantities of creative writing on demand leads to inspiration. Just ask Calvin (see above), this mostly results in sheer panic.

There is so much emphasis on being a creative writer in our schools these days when the reality is that adults will never have to write creatively. Adults must write letters, reports, and summaries, but the creative writing is purely optional. It’s a choice. So why do we force it on our children? Why not build the foundation, develop the content knowledge, and grow competent and confident writers?

I'm thrilled that my daughter's excited about writing a book, but I'm not going to push it. This will be her choice exclusively. I will support her in her efforts, but she knows that this project is supplementary. That is, perhaps, what makes it so magical.

Grammar and writing and math and science and all the other important subjects that will give her the content knowledge she needs will always come first. Her desire to write creatively has grown out of this despite not being explicitly taught or required and as such, should continue to give her the tools to accomplish these kinds of personal goals.

In Writing with Ease, Susan Wise Bauer ends the chapter Why Writing Programs Fail by reminding us that “the process of writing needs to be taught in an orderly, step-by-step method that will set young writers free to use their medium rather than wrestle with it.” My daughter has seemingly proven this true and I cannot express what a gift bailing the Ed-school creative writing train has turned out to be.

*Our program of choice for the middle school age is Grammar and Writing by Christie Curtis and Mary Hake.

10 comments:

Jo Anne C said...

Thank you for posting this!

I had been thinking of you and was going to dig through my old emails to ask how you felt about the Hake writing program after completing a full year with it. I am thrilled to know you are still very pleased with the results.

I am about to embark on my first year of home schooling using the K12 curriculum through a CA Virtual Academy - a public charter school (they pay for all the materials). I will still supplement with Saxon and Singapore Math, and will likely add this writing program if the K12 materials aren't up to snuff.

I liked the idea of starting out with a complete program (already organized), but can see how in the long run I will probably opt for the freedom of going it on my own once I get the hang of it.

Thanks again for your great post!

concernedCTparent said...

Jo Anne -- I'm so excited for you and your son. I'm familiar with that homeschooling charter and had I been in California would likely have chosen to begin the very same way.

Please do keep us posted of your homeschooling experience. I think you'll find you've made a wonderful life-altering choice.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm saving this post! You just said it perfectly.

I had the same experience with my son, but I afterschooled him with a more structured approach like what you're describing (I also used the Hake curriculum). I mostly took the emphasis off of creativity which was where he kept choking up over and over again.

It was fascinating to see him improve once the pressure was off to perform.

Now, he's coming home, once again, with instructions from different teachers that grammar and spelling aren't as important as his feelings and creativity. I have to set the rule that no paper gets turned in without going by me first. It's the only way to keep him from backsliding.

I love the Calvin cartoon.

SusanS

Catherine Johnson said...

I've read one of Concerned Parent's daughter's essays, and it is INCREDIBLE. It's so much better than the last essay C. wrote at the end of 8th grade that it's mortifying.

That is FANTASTIC news about the book! Absolutely, she is now interested in writing because writing is no longer an onerous task.

This is one of my core objections to constructivism; "whole projects" and chronic revision and all the rest of the starting-at-the-top approaches to teaching are extremely unpleasant. "Wholeism" creates far more school drudgery than "drill and kill" ever did.

The one potentially positive side effect of our schools' preoccupation with project learning and interdisciplinarity is that parents often end up hating it as much as kids do because so much of the executive burden for making sure the projects get done falls on us. The more parents questioning the schools, the better in terms of public support for choice.

Catherine Johnson said...

The Calvin cartoon is the story of my life.

I SWEAR I am going to CHANGE.

Catherine Johnson said...

bailing the Ed-school creative writing train

words to tattoo to our foreheads

Dawn said...

Oh shucks, that program looks good. You're getting me started on another case of curriculum lust.

Just curious, did you look at Classical Writing or any of the progymnasmata based programs? If you did is there I'm wondering what made you choose Hake over it. We're using Classical Writing: Aesop right now and Catherine is loving it but the Hake stuff seems to cover so much more.

I wonder if you could even use them together?

concernedCTparent said...

Hi Dawn!!! The irony is that I had curriculum envy when I checked out Classical Writing when you first mentioned it some time ago. I didn't know about it until you did.

I suppose you could use both together but it would probably be overkill. Hake has a number of components to manage and unless you cut down on something, adding Classical Writing just might be one thing too many. Besides, it seems Classical Writing isn't lacking. From what I've read, it seems quite fantastic.

Please do keep us posted.

Maddy said...

Probably 'off topic' so please delete if I ramble.

Your post together with Calvin, reminded me of when we were little and had 'free time.' There seemed to be a lot of 'free time' back then unless that's just wishful thinking?

However there seemed to be a lot of day dreaming and wool gathering where thoughts and imagination could percolate. Everyone is so busy all the time these days, both children and adults, that I often wonder what would develop 'naturally' if I were able to step back long enough to let it happen.

Best wishes

concernedCTparent said...

Maddy, absolutely! Thoughts and imagination do need time to percolate. That has certainly been an unexpected gift that homeschooling has provided. My daughter has been able to get through her work more efficiently without waiting for anyone else, she's been accelerated where needed, and this results in down time to just be.

I find it silly to demand a child do things like discover a math concept or write creatively when the very act of requiring it of them makes the whole exercise pointless. We can lead a child towards discovery and provide an environment and experiences that inspire creativity, but we cannot MAKE a child do these things. At least, not very profoundly and meaningfully. Somewhat like the proverbial horse led to water, I suppose.