kitchen table math, the sequel: The Good Samaritan

Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Good Samaritan

I don’t know whether I’ve mentioned the fact that C’s new school, Hogwarts, is in the city.

It’s in a part of the city folks around here don’t frequent, a neighborhood familiar to me almost entirely from movies starring people like Robert De Niro or Al Pacino or Johnny Depp playing policemen and/or members of the Mafia and/or policemen impersonating members of the Mafia and what have you.

So C. commutes to school. Because the city has no direct train lines from here to there, his commute involves changing trains in another part of the city that is also familiar to me entirely from movies featuring policemen, crime, drugs, “the projects,” and extended sequences of running, chasing, punching, shooting, bleeding (copious bleeding), and dying. Such is my image of the place.

Strangely enough, this particular change of venue seemed, and seems, like an excellent idea. I’m not sure why. Christian and his mom agreed: the two of them were adamant C. needed to exit his school district here in the “leafy suburbs”* and decamp to a part of the city white people invariably describe as “gritty.” I'm sure Christian and his mom are right, but I'm not sure why.

The one thing that did make an impression on me, when we spoke to the Director of Admissions last winter, was his observation that “the kind of parent who will send his kid to school in this part of the city is a particular sort of person.” He meant that in a good way, and I thought, instantly: I bet I would like those parents.

So the whole undertaking seems to suit us. It suits us, but we’ve been nervous. The lady who washes my hair at the hairdresser’s told me, “Great school, but drive him to the door. The local boys know kids are coming in from the suburbs, so they wait in groups to mug them, and the school won’t tell you that it happens.” That sounded like an urban legend to me, but, at the same time, it also did not sound crazy, not to a person who’s watched as many police movies as I have.

So I began the new school year driving C to school. Drive him to the door because the local boys might or might not be lying in wait: that was the plan. But, finding the commute by car to be both harrowing (thank you, Robert Moses) and long, I made it through only 3 days before I found myself thinking that, really, the surrounding neighborhood seemed fine to me. (Along with: Wow. Fantastic prices on back-to-school clothes at the local back-to-school clothes emporium.)

Thus before the end of his first week in school, C. had joined the small army of businessmen and women headed into the city on Metro North each day, broadening his horizons and ours.

e.g.: In Week 2, C came home and reported that he had seen his first "crackhead" at the train station. He knew she was a crackhead, he said, because she was extremely thin and she was asking people for money.

Then, a couple of days ago, C. was between trains when two policemen came into the station with a dog and began to patrol the waiting room. The dog pulled up short at the entrance to the men’s restroom and began to bark ferociously at the door. The policemen knocked loudly, calling for whoever was inside to come out. But the door did not open.

Now C. is a cautious boy who looks young. All the new boys look young, of course. The principal told us: They’re still children when they come here, and when they leave, they’re men.

And this: “In the next four years there will be some long days and long nights, but the years will fly by in a blink.”

We are still in the beginning of the years that will fly by in a blink, and C. still looks young, and I can imagine the expression on his face, watching the dog and the policemen. In my mind’s eye, he is trying not to look scared.

At some point, as the scene unfolded, the lady sitting beside him, a middle-aged black woman from Connecticut, struck up a conversation. Where was he from? she wanted to know. And where was he headed? Hogwarts! Oh yes, a nice school.

About the dog barking ferociously at the bathroom door, she said mildly, “Oh, that’s not good.” But she made no move to get up from her seat. She would be standing her ground.

What came next, I gather, was that the dog carried on barking, and the policemen carried on knocking and calling on the man inside the restroom to come out, and the man inside the restroom carried on doing whatever he was doing behind the closed door: a stand-off. Finally, after some minutes of this, the woman said to C.: “If things get hairy, go upstairs and wait.”

On the day these events took place, C. told us the story of the lady from Connecticut and the policemen with their dog at least 3 times. He has told it again several times since. And always, the ending of the story is: “She told me, if things get hairy, go upstairs and wait.”

I didn’t think until yesterday to ask what became of the man inside the restroom. When finally I did ask, and C. told me, I realized I had already known the answer. The man came out of the restroom, C. said, and the policemen talked to him, "and then they let him go."

The reason I knew the answer was that in his telling of the story, C. had stopped at the end; he had stopped at the part where you know everything is going to turn out OK.

The lady from Connecticut, the policemen and their dog, the man inside the restroom, and C.: each will emerge from this episode unharmed. The adults will do their jobs, and the objects of their concern — the man inside the restroom and the boy inside the station waiting for his train — will be talked to and sent on their way.

A happy ending, and gritty in its way.

* channelling Mike Petrilli

7 comments:

Ben Calvin said...

I think you may have stumbled onto a small but important side benefit to C’s education. Nothing wrong with suburban life, but if you grow up there and it’s all you know, you can have a very cosseted view of the wider world. There is something to be said to realizing real people live in those other neighborhoods.

Along with this does comes a slightly higher risk. But the vast majority pass through unscathed, with a broader perspective.

Anonymous said...

Right - attending private school is a real eye opener. How about volunteering in Irvington at Abbott House, in Dobbs Ferry at Children's Village. or serving Thanksgving dinner at West H.E.L.P.. There's a broader perspective right here in Westchester.

Catherine Johnson said...

I have no need to volunteer in Abbott House; I live in Abbott House, practically.

Catherine Johnson said...

The problem with my own suburb is something that can't be fixed & isn't the town's fault, which is simply that Westchester has tiny little towns, each with its own school district.

This has advantages but it's hard on the kids, too, because they've known each other forever -- since they were 3 or younger. As the kids move from one school to the next, no new kids come in, and there's no "starting over."

It's hard to describe. It's a purely structural problem having nothing to do with the kids or the parents or the values, etc. ---- but somehow it makes things feel too isolated and insular.

Catherine Johnson said...

Private school -- parochial school in our case -- is a MAJOR eye opener.

I recommend it.

Catherine Johnson said...

The amazing thing for me is that I will never be able to thank this woman.

Catherine Johnson said...

Plus....think how many things she did exactly right.

My favorite part of her approach was the fact that she wasn't going to be going upstairs herself! That is beautiful!

That's what I call a grownup.

From afar, I'd say the police handled their work tremendously well, too. No escalation, no manhandling....and a quick resolution of the situation.

Great all around.