kitchen table math, the sequel: Syllable Divided Books

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Syllable Divided Books

These books have been helpful for my remedial students. I also tested words divided this way on my daughter, they were helpful for her as a beginning student as well (although I only had 1 book then, and it's an actual 1851 First Reader in good condition, so it did not get used with a Kindergarten student.)

They are based on the syllable division rules taught in Webster's Speller in the Syllabary. (Short version of rules: Open syllables--those ending in a vowel--are long. Closed syllables--those ending in a vowel--are short. Any unaccented syllable, but especially open unaccented syllables, can schwa.)

These books allow students to read above their current reading grade level while observing the pattern of syllable division in words. And, they are all informative reading instead of the mindless stories you're prone to get in common readers in use after 1900.

Syllable Divided Books

If these books help your student, I recommend Webster's Speller as a follow on.

2 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

Thank you!

I'm finally starting to understand the idea of written language as a code enough to have reached a decision: I'm going to see whether I can use Engelmann's Teach Your Child to read with Jimmy & Andrew.

I feel so sad about Jimmy, now 21. When he was 14, he was desperate to learn to read. He'd get the LeapFrog book reader & bring it to me and have me sit down with it and go over the words.

At school, his teacher spent hours trying to teach him to read visually (which I believe is the recommended approach for autistic kids).

He couldn't do it, and he finally gave up. We all gave up.

I have no idea whether he can learn the code, but I'm going to try.

I'm going to try with Andrew, too. Andrew, weirdly enough, may already know the code to a significant extent.

Catherine Johnson said...

I needed McGuinness to explain to me that you really can't learn to read by memorizing whole words.

(Maybe there are exceptions to this; I don't know. I do know that Jimmy didn't learn to read by being taught sight words for many, many years.)