kitchen table math, the sequel: RttT Finalists announced yesterday

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

RttT Finalists announced yesterday

A total of 46 states and the District of Columbia applied for either the first or second rounds – or both. The 19 finalists are: Arizona, California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and South Carolina.

AND an interesting post from Jay P. Greene on Checker Finn's change of mind...
Checker made an excellent case against national standards… in 1997.

The current national standards and assessment craze has similarly not been authorized by Congress and is being spear-headed by the very same Council of Chief State School Officers that Checker denounced as “one of the establishment’s most change-averse crews.”

3 comments:

LynnG said...

As much as my State wants the money (and says they need it), I gotta believe that there are far needier places than here, so I'm secretly glad that CT didn't make the cut. When failing schools can't teach for $19,000 per student, I can't imagine more federal dollars will make a difference. I'd rather see money go to places where the residents actually can't adequately fund public schools -- like Mississippi (even though they didn't make the cut either).

Very glad to see Arizona made it. Schools are surviving on $5,000 per student or less.

FedUpMom said...

Hey, my district can't teach for $25,000 per student. I win (I think).

Independent George said...

I thought Catherine won with $28k per student.