kitchen table math, the sequel: Sam Savage

Monday, August 30, 2010

Sam Savage

The Big Enchilada

Exponential

Avoiding the Thesis 

Avoiding the Corporation

Avoiding the Publications

Avoiding the Whole (expletive deleted) Ordeal


In the mid 1970's after I had abandoned traditional Management Science, but before I had discovered spreadsheets, I tried unsuccessfully to be a folksinger in Chicago.

There were two things that dissuaded me from a career in music. First, there were a lot of people who were a lot better than I was, and second, they weren’t making it either. During this period I did some recording with my stepbrother John Pearce on a Sony 4 track reel-to-reel tape deck.
I found the decades old tapes in my garage in 1999, and discovered to my amazement that there were still magnetic signals on them. We turned some of the pieces into a CD which we shared with family and a few friends. All the recordings were made between roughly 1975 and 1985. Some tracks, like the patient who has been frozen in liquid nitrogen until a cure is found for his disease, awoke to a world in which they could be substantially improved. The tempo of the Exponential track, for example, was sped up digitally without changing the pitch.

Sam Savage

1 comment:

Catherine Johnson said...

I love "The Big Enchilada"