kitchen table math, the sequel: learning math is hard, part deux

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

learning math is hard, part deux

(Part one of this post can be found here.)

In the first part of this post on the math program, Connecting Math Concepts, we were discussing about how the program is field tested and how error diagnosing and correction is built into the program. I needed to describe those two aspects of the program briefly to get to the aspect of the program that I intended to discuss -- practice.

Student practice is built right into CMC. That's one of the reasons why the program is field tested beforehand; to determine how much practice students need to retain the material taught. Unlike in most math programs, in CMC material is not just taught, tested and then permitted to lay fallow whereupon it is quickly forgotten by the student. Do you remember the threat of the dreaded end of year cumulative test back in K-12? You dreaded it because you knew that you had forgotten most of the material presented in the first half of the year. You don't have such a luxury in CMC, all tests are cumulative. The only time a skill isn't practiced or tested is because it's been incorporated into a more difficult skill. At the end of the year, students are expected to have retained all the material presented during the year. This is exactly what is needed when learning math.

Since CMC has been field tested with lower performing students and since CMC is designed to accelerate student learning as quickly as possible, you can get an idea for how much practice is needed for a lower performing student to retain the material. The program is designed to provide sufficient practice with a little bit extra to account for things like student absences, but not too much since that would hinder the acceleration. So, the practice provided in the program should turn out to be about what is necessary for a lower performing student to master the material at about the fastest rate he can handle. Cutting to the chase, the amount of practice that a lower performing student requires t o learn math is simply enormous if CMC is an accurate guide.

There is way too much practice for my son. I routinely cut out about every other practice lesson for each topic because I don't want him to get bored and our time for lessons is limited afterschool. Plus, I want to keep the ball rolling and stay far ahead of the wildly inappropriate nonsense that gets taught in his Everyday Math class.

So, you might be thinking that I'm only cutting out about half the material. Nope. I'm cutting out far more than that. I'm cutting out all the "extra practice" lessons that are scheduled for students after they fail a proficiency test. Since he's never failed any portion of any test so far, I haven't had to go back and reteach any lesson. At most he'll get a few problems wrong due to his desire not to being math work at night when he could be playing Lego Star Wars II on his PS2, but so far he's always stayed in the proficiency range no matter how fast I go.

In addition, I've never given him any worksheets from the extra practice workbooks or the blackline master worksheets. And, i skip all the games that sneak in more extra practice since there's no one to play against since he's the only student. Occasionaly, I'll play against him to give him an idea how fast I can work the problems so he has any idea how fast he's going to be expected to work the problems. He's not as fast as I am yet, but he routinely does his problems in half the time allotted in the timed exercises. So, he's starting to approach automaticity on some of the stuff he's learned so far.

Lastly, I've been known to skip the last 30 or lessons at the end of the year since most of this material will be quickly reviewed at the beginning at the next level.

I'd estimate that I cut out about 2/3 to 3/4 of the total practice provided in CMC which accords pretty closely with Engelmann's estimation that higher performers can be accelerated at about 3-4 times the rate of lower performers. And, it doesn't surprise me at all that lower performers need every last bit of all that practice I'm cutting out. Math is all about learning abstract concepts and our brains are not wired to learn abstract concepts easily. It also doesn't surprise me that in most math program, with the exception of Saxon, lower performing kids aren't getting close to the amount of practice they need to retain the math they've been taught.

Hence the widespread failure we see in math education.

And, this assessment doesn't even get into the messy area of the initial presentation of the material enabling the student to understand the concepts in the first place. I'll cover that aspect of CMC in future posts since we're now just starting to get into the interesting areas of math instruction. I'll leave you with this. CMC presents the material so clearly and concisely that I only have to "teach" for about five minutes each lesson. The rest of the time he's working problems using the skills I just taught or practicing previously taught skills. Ironically, that's probably far less teaching that goes on in your typical discovery learning/constructivist heavy math class. I'll show you who's the real guide on the side.

1 comment:

Tex said...

Your comments on the importance of practice and how the amount of practice varies among different types of students was of great interest to me since I think my two kids are living and breathing examples of this situation.

My 15-year old son is a fast learner who has always performed at the top of his group. This year he got a paid job tutoring another other high schooler.

He didn’t need a lot of practice. He did fine with our curriculum that seems to emphasize learning concepts over mastering procedure. And spiraling (“don’t worry if your child doesn’t get it now, because we’ll revisit it next year”).

On the other hand, my 4th grade daughter needs a lot of practice. For the most part, our school does not seem to emphasize practice. Two or three homework sessions and they’re off to the next topic. Of course, they cover so many topics it would be difficult to practice to mastery on all of them.

I went the Saxon route with my daughter, and it’s so gratifying this year that her quick recall of basic math facts is a real help in tackling 4th grade math. For example, it’s good to instantly know that 48 plus 12 equals 60. That’s leaves more working memory to address the problem at hand. What’s so bad about that? But it took a lot of practice.