kitchen table math, the sequel: algebra 2 & trigonometry recommendations

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

algebra 2 & trigonometry recommendations

Does anyone have algebra 2 & trigonometry recommendations?

Any thoughts on Dad's Trigonometry?

Or on College Mathematics?

Another question.

Foerster's Algebra 1 is fantastic. (I think someone from ktm-1 sent that book to me - right?? ... yup, I thought so) When I was struggling to teach myself & Christopher function notation in 24 hours, Foerster's was the book for the job. I Xeroxed pages for my neighbor to use, too. Wonderful.

It has rave reviews on Amazon, and Mathematically Correct likes it, too, as does Greta F.

Here's a review from one of his students:


A former student of Mr. Foerster's, November 2, 2001 Until I met Mr. Foerster, I thought I desperately hated math. I scored well in it, yet I just hated the whole subject.

Mr. Foerster is truly an inspiring man; the whole high school was in awe of him. His courses were reputed to be extremely tough. But the hallway gossip was soon dispelled. Although Algebra isn't always "easy", I was quite surprised and delighted to discover that Mr. Foerster's classes - and especially his textbooks - were extremely user-friendly! Mr. Foerster writes clearly, and is able to address Algebra from the beginning, rather than talking several levels over students' heads. His kindness, humor, and gentle personality show through in the books. Wow! Math is fun after all!

I am now homeschooling my three kids, and Foerster's books are the texts of choice in this family.



So... is his second book, Algebra and Trigonometry, also great?

Does anyone know?

Last but not least, I notice he has a calculus text, too, which apparently is used in AP calculus classes.... and I spy a notation from teacher-2-teacher in my textbook file: "a great reform book."

hmmmm....

Sample chapter & material from instructor's manual here.


Prentice Hall Classics (math & social studies)
Prentice Hall Math Classics

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who will it be for? A grown up or a kid? Supplement or main course? What's wrong with Saxon?

I'm seriously thinking about just taking a community college class when it comes to Calculus.

Rudbeckia Hirta said...

Grand Rapids Community College has online calculus called "RaiderCast". Anyone with an internet connection can download the videos of the lectures. I don't remember the URL, but I found it via google. I downloaded most of Calc 2 and saved it to a DVD.