kitchen table math, the sequel: grammar recommendations from ktm-1

Friday, June 1, 2007

grammar recommendations from ktm-1

help desk - request for grammar recommendations

grammar recommendations from the "Favorites for kids" page

You may need to hit "refresh" a couple of times, but the page will come up.



Here are the notes I took after hours of Warriner's-hunting on the Web:
  • Warriner’s English Composition and Grammar: First Course grade 7 is used by Wilton in grade 7 [ed.: just checked some other sites - First Course is 7th grade]
  • Warriner’s English Composition and Grammar, Third Course is used at huffenglish.com to work with the book TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (the teacher teaches 9th & 10th grades)
  • Warriner’s 4th Course is for 10th grade in the Seton Home School website
  • Warriner’s English Grammar and Composition: Course 5 – Liberty Edition ISBN: 0153118040 January 1986 hardcover Holt Rinehart & Winston $63.85 list (this is probably an 11th grade course)
  • Warriner’s High School Handbook 1992 Holt Rinehart Winston ISBN: 0030540097 (seems like teacher’s guide is integrated with the handbook??)
  • Warriner’s High School Handbook 1992 Teacher’s Manual ISBN: 0030540127

From isbn Search:

“The Complete Course is a summary of the six book Warriners series and is used for 12th graders. A comprehensive grammar course for high school used in many home school situations. Contains all aspects of a high school English curriculum with clear explanations, examples and exercises. Includes sentence diagraming.

Warriner, John - Warriner's English Grammar and Composition Complete Course (12th Grade)”

Www.setonbooks has quite a few of the Warriner’s books, including an answer key

ISBN search



only the good die young

from the blog Dean's World:

I need a copy of Warriner's English Grammar and Composition published by Harcourt -- Complete Course -- Teacher's Manual with Answer Keys. The ISBN is 0153119454. Believe me, I've searched everywhere on the Net. Amazon doesn't have it. I've checked all the usual suspects. None of the meta-search engines can find it. Maybe you know someone who does. If you do, shoot me an email (my address is found on the link in the first comment to this post).

What's amazing is that everyone wants this book, but it is out of print. It seems that the teaching of grammar is deeply frowned upon today, so there's not much sense in printing it any more. But home schoolers and private school teachers, like someone important to me, are going nuts for this book, and there is nary a copy to found. Let me know if you can help!

P.S. There are a million variations on this title. It needs to be the Teacher's Edition. It needs to be the Complete Course. We need Answer Keys. We need Grammar and Composition (not Composition and Grammar!).

And if you can suggest a reasonable alternative, I'm all ears.



Having spent hours of my life trying to decode the Warriner's series, I think I've got it straight:

The books start in grade 7 and proceed year by year through grade 12:

  1. Course 1: 7th grade
  2. Course 2: 8th grade
  3. Course 3: 9th grade
  4. Course 4: 10th grade
  5. Course 5: 11th grade
  6. Complete Course: 12th grade

a couple of lists of Warriner's books (assuming the links remain good):

Warriner's at abebooks

Warriner's at ISBN search

4 comments:

KathyIggy said...

I might have to try to find these to add to the textbook pile--they'd bring back memories of my Catholic school education and sentence diagramming. I always kind of liked diagramming, though I don't remember much of it now. My kids just do those Daily Language Review (DLR) sheets at school but nothing on them is ever explicitly taught. I never see corrections on them either and have to do corrections with them at home.

Anonymous said...

You may have heard of this one before, but Writer's Digest has a book called Grammatically Correct, which is a grammar, style, punctuation, and usage guide aimed at writers. However, I think anyone could get some use out of it, and it was pretty straightforward and well-organized. I use it in conjunction with Strunk and White.

What's more, the book uses passages from novels and such to illustrate what rules they're explaining (these are often novels schools assign to kids, like Austen's and Steinbeck's). This feature helped me, because I picked up a lot of rules as a kid from having seen examples in novels and then asking the teacher why the author did such and such.

I don't have it on hand right now (at work), so I can't give examples offhand, but Amazon will let you search inside the hardcover edition. I don't know how it stacks up with Warriner, but it is a handy reference guide to keep around.


--Tyrian Purple

VickyS said...

I thought I was alone in the world in my love of Warriner's! I have carefully guarded my "Complete course" text since 8th grade (copyright 1969) and still use it to this day.

Anonymous said...

Is the "complete course" actually a compilation of all the earlier books, or a different book entirely? Thanks!