kitchen table math, the sequel: Smartest Tractor on SMART Boards

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Smartest Tractor on SMART Boards

from Smartest Tractor (teaches middle grades in Canada):

Most of the "lessons" on a SmartBoard are hide-and-reveal. One can create some interesting material with Geometer's Sketchpad. In fact, after attending a sales pitch session at a "cutting edge" SmartBoard classroom, the presenter could not find any way her lesson could not have been done on an overhead project.

The SmartBoard is usualy centred on the wall, monopolizing the space. Since only one person can writing on it at a time, unless you are creative with other laptops and Bluetooth, the process of taking up math questions is exceptionally slow.

Primary teachers tend to use the SmartBoard as a centre. It is a costly spot in the classroom in my opinion.

Reviews of the usefulness of SmartBoard usually focus on student engagement, not student achievement. How exciting!

RH is absolutely correct in her note saving comment. In the year and a bit that one has graced my wall, I have printed off less than five items for students looking for missed information. Once again, the overhead had a scroll on it so all our notes were saved.

As for posting the information, I love the idea. I have thought about doing it myself to complement all the other material I post. If there was a payoff, people actually using it online, then I think I would do it. Since the net traffic on the Parent Communication Calendar is zero, I haven't taken the time to transfer the documents to pdf.


PLAN B (also from Smartest Tractor)

1. PC Tablet
2. Beamer, or projector

Better features, like handwriting recognition, and exceptionally portable.

To add student participation, you buy a Bluetooth Wacom Graphire3 tablet.


This is a big help.

One of the administration's selling points is that eventually every student will be equipped with his own individual response technology so answers can be wirelessly beamed to the Mother Ship up front just like on Jeopardy (that's how Ed put it in his notes).

More later -

7 comments:

Me said...

The SmartBoard can be a wonderful tool if there are visually impaired kids or kids with learning problems in the classroom.

Information in electronic form which has been carefully generated has a lot of added value we don't normally appreciate.

Of course, this still a fairly new field and teachers may have never been taught how to use computers effectively.

LynnG said...

SMART boards can be immensely engaging, especially if you are introducing a new topic and there's lots of things you want to do with it.

I had an experience several years ago where I put together a game theory introduction for 5th thru 8th graders in a summer workshop. It was a one week course and my game theory portion was limited to 2 days.

Even so, it took me weeks (I am not kidding you) to put together a massive presentation for the students.

It was incredibly cool, if you must know.

I had links to a website where we played rock-paper-scissors on a site that calculated our running averages and how well we could randomize our choices; we had Calvin & Hobbes; Bart Simpson (playing r/p/s); the Good the Bad and the Ugly; the dirty children; and we even created a decision-tree to illustrate strategic decision making.

It was a lot of fun and the SMART board was great. But for a limited presentation making full use of many of the features, it was extremely time consuming.

I can't imagine doing that for more than 1 or 2 units a year. I can see why most of the SMART boards uses are to project only.

A lot of potential that will never be realized. Yet, if you showed board members our one class (and several showed up for a little time) it would be very impressive.

In the end, they just aren't worth the investment, given the realities of teaching and school.

? said...

individual response technology

Ahhhh....it already exists. It's called CPS, or Classroom Performance System, or clickers. For only $2000 for a set, it can be in your classroom too.

Grab your cheque book and a extra large glass of red wine and go here http://www.einstruction.com/

harriska2 said...

Yes, I've seen the clicker method in a Title I school. I guess it is a silent version of answering in unison.

Those cool lesson plans wouldn't be so impossible if the teachers simply shared them on an Open Curriculum site.

Catherine Johnson said...

It was a lot of fun and the SMART board was great. But for a limited presentation making full use of many of the features, it was extremely time consuming.

It's always worse than you think.

Catherine Johnson said...

Ed talked to a guy at Apple, who used to be a teacher. He says the training is time-consuming.

Today I asked a teacher at the school about it, and she agreed.

She said once you're trained up they're easy, but getting there takes some time -- which means a lot of teachers won't get there, because why should they?

Why should a seasoned teacher, or even a new teacher, spend hours training herself on SMART Boards when there's no extra reward for doing so and no penalty for not doing so.

Teachers still aren't using edline, the website we're paying for (though I think the high school teachers may be using it. If that's the case, I'm happy to pay for edline.)

Redkudu said...

In previous classrooms I've had, I had a single white or chalkboard on at least 2 of 4 walls. I could have students working on, and posting answers to, multiple questions at a time, while projecting something on a blank wall from the overhead as well.

In my current classroom, I have only one chalkboard, but it stretches the length of one wall, and has 3 other, smaller chalkboards (1/3 the size each) on rollers attached to it. (Lucked out and got an old Math room somehow!) In effect, I have 6 chalkboards I can work with at any time.

You know what the kids think is cool? Being able to roll those chalkboards back and forth.

The SmartBoards in our school are about 25% smaller than any one of my individual boards, fall over frequently, and due to abuse don't always work (scratched up, flimsy, missing markers and erasers, wobbly where bolts are falling out from being rolled around to various classrooms across the campus "sprawl"). Don't get me started on the delicate dance required to have the board plugged in to one wall, the projector into another (one plug per wall, I don't know why the others don't work and no one else seems to either), and the internet line into a third (only 1 working line in the room, way off in a corner). All that, and then expecting the kids (or me) to get up and move productively around the board is a little like watching the first "Mission Impossible" where Cruise dropped down from the roof to avoid all those lasers.

It's possible in some classrooms they could be helpful, and I was at least intrigued by the idea at first. But the preparation of a SmartBoard lesson takes twice as much time as a good, solid lesson on paper, with board and chalk. Longer to check out in advance from the library, longer to set up the morning of, longer to load, longer to get the kids used to...

And in English, at least, beaming a multiple choice answer up to the "mother ship" isn't all that helpful.

I'm a huge advocate of technology in the classroom, despite all that. But when we have to negotiate plug-in times so I can take attendance (have to unplug it each period), project something on the overhead, and fire up the SmartBoard, I'm going to begin eliminating the most time-consuming items from the daily schedule which are the least helpful.