kitchen table math, the sequel: help desk - word problem resources

Monday, June 11, 2007

help desk - word problem resources

I've got to try to teach Christopher the classic algebra word problems this summer, and I think Susan S is on the same track - are there any good resources we should look into?

We both have Mildred Johnson's How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra -- is there anything else?

I somehow ended up with the solution manual to Anita Harnadek's Algebra 1 Word Problems; maybe I'll spring for the problems themselves; who knows? (title of solution manual: Algebra Word Problems Teacher's Manual and Detailed Solutions - doesn't' seem to have an ISBN)

Actually, no. I think I'll skip Harnadek for the time being.

I have the 5th & 6th grade Challenging Word Problems books from Singapore Math; that's going to be plenty to keep me busy.

edhelper.com has all the classic problems, too. $20/yr basic subscription fee; $40/yr for everything. Fantastic resource

Any other recommendations?


Primary Mathematics Challenging Word Problems 5
Primary Mathematics Challenging Word Problems 6

6 comments:

nbosch said...

I like/use all Zaccaro's books--grades 2-6. http://challengemath.com/

Catherine Johnson said...

Thanks!

I have them - I'll get them out.

(Actually, I don't have the 2-6; I have the two aimed at middle school kids, I think.)

Anonymous said...

I have (and love) the Zaccaro books, also. Are there any for the older kid? Not that you can't use those as well.

nbosch said...

I have 3 of the books and I use them often in my gifted class. The ones I have are Challenge Primary Math, Real World Algebra, and Challenge Math. This past year we did another program called Hands On Algebra http://www.borenson.com/. It's probably too expensive to use for one child but our 3-6th graders loved it and I was amazed at what they could do. Warning--midway through we realized that the kids had to know how to add and subtract negative and positive integers (no exposure til second semester 6th grade), so we had to stop--teach that then move on.

Anonymous said...

Art of Problem Solving Textbooks

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Books/AoPS_B_Rec_Middle.php

Anonymous said...

Polya's How to Solve It