kitchen table math, the sequel: question

Friday, June 15, 2007

question

The postings at the Ridgewood Blog are a lot of fun to read. Things are still hopping in Ridgewood! The whole thing is making me feel as if Irvington, by comparison, is a sleepy little village in a Lord Peter Whimsey story.

Here's a question, though.

One of the commenters has said, twice, that it's not possible to change a monopoly from within — and that history shows this.

Seeing as how I was educated by wolves, I have no idea whether or not this is true or even whether it could be true; nor do I have the faintest idea what particular history this Commenter is alluding to.

Which means, contrary to constructivist doctrine (you knew I'd get that in there somewhere, didn't you?) I can't look it up.

Help.

2 comments:

Tracy W said...

The whole thing is making me feel as if Irvington, by comparison, is a sleepy little village in a Lord Peter Whimsey story.

What? A nasty murder for which everyone in town has a motive? Oh, and even the people who didn't commit the murder were stealing money, or blackmailing him, or sleeping with his wife or hiding an unrelated dead body in the cellar?

Catherine Johnson said...

well... we don't have nasty murders, but we do have shenanigans

shenanigans in which everyone and his brother seems to have a hand