kitchen table math, the sequel: Living Environment Regents in 8th grade - Results

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Living Environment Regents in 8th grade - Results

Probably, I do lack a middle school mentality. After all I never experienced "a lay back" attitute from my teachers nor exhibit it myself.

My students from 3 honor classes took the REgents exam in Living Environment on Wednesday. Since I followed the rules accepted in HS (a student who passed the class with 65 or higher, completed 2000 minutes of laboratory work and 4 state mandatory labs are allowed to take the exam), only 2 students from all 3 classes were not allowed to take the examination due to absences (both were suspended many times during the year, and didn't pass my class). So, out of 77 students who took the exam, 81% passed it. The rest will have to repeat the class over in HS.
Comparing to citywide percentile, we did great. This exam (though difficult because of the phrasing of questions and answers) was a perfect final point for my class, there was no concepts that we didn't study in class! Students who studied and worked all year - passed it, students who were slacking off - didn't.
But what did I get from admins (not from Science AP though) - 14 students failed, that's bad, very bad! You should have selected before the test, they will have an F in their record untill they pass this exam...
This attitude kills me. Oh, poor child will have an F... That child is given a second chance in HS, and should work better next time. (After all, I told them that they have a right not to come for the exam this year - they still will have to take it in HS.
Oh, well. My AP defended me (thanks!), blaming the inappropriate placement in the first place. Will anything be done about it? (As I learned recently, in my school parents have no say in their childrens placement, and I was advised not to tell the children what class they will be in next year!!!)
The only calming thought in this is that the students who passed my class and my exam LEARNED biology well, and can proceed to other science classes in HS.
(In the 8th grade yearbook, I was named "Ms.Quiz", and the advice to future students in my classes read "Hold on, you are going to STUDY!")

7 comments:

Tracy W said...

Congratulations Exo on getting so many students to pass.

And good news on the AP defending you.

Exo said...

Thank you tracy.

By the way, being able to solve word problems in math HELPS enormously in the exams like that REgents: Extract what is given, what you asked, and how to get to the necessary answer.

Catherine Johnson said...

Congratulations!

BUT I HAVE ADVICE!!!

(This is based on Evil Math Teacher's troubles in her school.)

I'm not there, but my feeling is that if your principal wants you to winnow out the kids who are going to fail Regents and warn them off, you should do it.

Evil Math Teacher has far and away the most stellar math teaching record in her school, and she's trying to find a new job - with "directives" (I think that's what it's called) in her file.

My STRONG feeling is that the only teachers getting hammered by the administration should be the bad ones, NOT the good ones.

Of course, what's incredible about the whole thing to me is the fact that Irvington does not offer Living Science in 8th grade.

They did, but they got rid of it, so now all we have is Earth Science.

Catherine Johnson said...

I assume they put in Earth Science because it's easier (though I don't know) -- which is another reason to carry on offering biology.

Catherine Johnson said...

oh, well

At least C. is going to get to take Earth Science.

Catherine Johnson said...

What is the citywide pass rate??

Exo said...

citywide passing rate is about 70% 9and that's after getting rid of half of the "inelegible" students after 1st semester and not allowing a quarter of students due to the incomplete lab requirements.

Earth Science is indeed easier.