kitchen table math, the sequel: young lives destroyed by failure to learn dimensional analysis

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

young lives destroyed by failure to learn dimensional analysis

"I was a Wilton High School student who dozed off while Mr. Laptick taught us dimensional analysis in physical science. I never quite got the hang of it. It irritated me... all of those fractions. I never really liked fractions. Although my grades had been pretty high, I got a D in physical science and subsequently dropped out of chemistry in the first quarter of my junior year. It was not long before I started on drugs, and then crime to support my drug habit. I have recently learned dimensional analysis and realize how simply it could have solved all of my problems. Alas, it is too late. I won't get out of prison until 2008 and even then, my self image is permanently damaged. I attribute all of my problems to my unwillingness to learn dimensional analysis." Jane

"I thought I knew everything and that sports was the only thing that mattered in high school. When Mr. Hoogenboom taught our class dimensional analysis, I didn't care about it at all. I was making plans for the weekend with my girlfriend who loved me because I was a running back and not because of physical science. While other kids were home solving dimensional analysis problems, I was practicing making end sweeps. Then one day I was hit hard. Splat. My knee was gone. I was despondent. My girl friend deserted me. My parents, who used to brag about my football stats, started getting on my case about grades. I decided to throw myself into my school work. But I couldn't understand anything. I would get wrong answers all of the time. I now realize that my failure in school came from never having learned dimensional analysis. Alas, I thought everyone else was smarter. After the constant humiliation of failing I finally gave up. I am worthless. I have no friends, no skills, no interests. I have now learned dimensional analysis, but it is too late." Bill


I was at home, sick with the flu when Mr. Mycyk taught my class about Dimensional Analysis. Despite opportunities given to me to make up the assignments that I had missed, I chose to not do them. I thought that my mathematical abilities were already sufficient. How wrong I was! It’s been five years since I took that class--Now I spend my afternoons panhandling at traffic lights, hoping for passersby to give me spare change. If I ‘m lucky enough to scam a buck after a day’s work, I’m still not sure if my hourly rate makes cents. --Mario

source:
Dimensional Analysis

1 comment:

Catherine Johnson said...

I know - this is one of my favorites.