kitchen table math, the sequel: first crack at editing exercise

Monday, July 16, 2007

first crack at editing exercise

re: eureka

wow

C. didn't have a clue how to proceed.

He only managed to cut one word:

Stunt people were around long before films. Even Shakespeare probably used them in fight scenes.

I thought "even" needed to stay put, but I see now that the transition is implied.

This is going to be hard for me, too.

Of course I'm wondering whether I'm starting at the top. Is there a simpler way into this kind of exercise?

I will mull.

Meanwhile, on the math front, C. did the Saxon Fast Facts Multiplication sheet - 64 1-digit multiplication problems - in 2 minutes 37 seconds, getting 100% correct. That seemed good (Saxon says the sheet should be done in less than 5 minutes) until I re-read this post:

[I]n regular classrooms we learned that students need to be able to write answers to between 70 and 90 simple addition problems per minute in order to be able to successfully and smoothly master arithmetic story problems.

More confusion. Each "simple" multiplication problem has a 2-digit answer, whereas most simple addition problems have 1-digit answers. I think.

Tomorrow I'm going to have him do 100 simple addition problems and see what's what.

If we have to practice writing digits, we will practice writing digits.

His handwriting is terrible. I came across some of his work from a couple of years ago and discovered there's been no improvement at all.

My efforts to afterschool handwriting, which I abandoned lo these many years ago, were an abject failure.


expert advice on teaching writing from Joanne Jacobs
eureka
more from Joanne Jacobs
doctor pion on writing a precis and critical reading
home writing program in place, for now

No comments: