kitchen table math, the sequel: man-eating tiger sentence combining exercise

Friday, July 13, 2007

man-eating tiger sentence combining exercise

This is a hard one:


I am not competent to give any opinion on the relative quantity of salt in human or animal flesh

a diet of human flesh is far from having an injurious effect on the coat of the man-eaters

I can assert that a diet of human flesh does not have an injurious effect on the coat of the man-eaters

I do assert that a diet of human flesh does not have an injurious effect on the coat of the man-eaters

a diet of human flesh is has quite the opposite effect on the coat of the man-eaters

all the man-eaters I have seen have had remarkably fine coats


source:
Man-Eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett, p ix
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1944


...............................

original:

It is a popular fallacy that all man-eaters are old and mangy, the mange being attributed to the excess of salt in human flesh. I am not competent to give any opinion on the relative quantity of salt in human or animal flesh; but I can, and I do, assert that a diet of human flesh, so far from having an injurious effect on the coat of the man-eaters, has quite the opposite effect, for all the man-eaters I have seen have had remarkably fine coats.

No comments: