kitchen table math, the sequel: Steve H's comments on Math Notations interview

Monday, September 17, 2007

Steve H's comments on Math Notations interview

excerpts I'm copying here, for safekeeping:

Educators are bound and determined to redefine math, but if they want to open career doors, they really need to take a good look at the Math SAT and work backwards.


I had never heard Steve say this before!

I find this extremely useful, not least because of the brevity.

I can remember this, and I can, quite possibly, do this.

Moving right along....

Mastery of skills is paramount. Spelling ... to writers is NOT like math skills is to mathematicians. This is an ignorant analogy.

yes


Affluent kids get private schools, tutors, and help at home. They get high expectations from their parents.


No kidding.

This pretty much captures the reason a lot of us are here.

I seriously doubt that there can be a meeting of the minds when it comes to basic assumptions and expectations. Mastery is a major issue. You can set all of the standards you want. You can force a school to use Singapore Math. If they don't believe in specific grade-level goals of mastery, then even that will fail. Mastery in math is not like spelling. This is not about middle ground.

Being able to spell is not analogous to being able to do long division.

Everyone knows this. The fact that we do have a math war and do not have a spelling war may be all the evidence you need that bad math education is devastating, while bad (or no) spelling education is merely annoying. If I were to spend the next hour Googling survey data, I'm sure I could show that parents universally want their children to be able to spell. Nevertheless, you will have to search far and wide to find a parent setting up web sites and parent advocacy groups to address his schools' failure to provide systemic instruction in spelling.

What about the kids who don't "blossom"? Is a "math brain" or a "spark" required to get an education in math? When my son goes to school, I expect him to pay attention and work hard even if he doesn't like the material. I check his homework daily and set much higher expectations than the school (that's not saying much). I don't tell him that he doesn't have to finish a writing assignment because he isn't motivated. I will try to motivate him and "spark" his interest, but failing that, I will apply (and the school should too) external motivation, like grades and flunking.

Self-motivation is a nice goal, but if it doesn't happen, then schools darn well better do something else.....If schools want math to be a "pump" and not a "filter", then they need to do some hard pumping. Affluent parents do a lot of pumping. Unfortunately, poor kids have to wait for a "spark".

Wonderful stuff!

Which, of course, goes straight to the heart of the problems I've come to realize parents in "high-performing" districts experience:

Schools aren't happy when parents push their kids.

I've been told, directly, "Don't push him." Other parents have been told the same; entire roomfuls of parents here have been told, "Don't push your kids; everyone has his place."

That's close to a direct quote.

Everyone has his place. Don't push.

Affluent schools, in my experience thus far, do what they can to discourage and delegitimize parent pushing.

Speaking of which, C's first writing assignment in ELA is to be a "Personal Motivation Letter":

Now that you are rapidly growing up, changing, and becoming more independent, your future as a life-long learner will become more and more your own choice and your own responsibility. This is a good thing.

[snip]

2) Write a letter to your English teacher discussing what motivates you and/or when, where or how you become motivated to learn something. Provide at least two or three self-motivating methods.

3) Since this is about self-motivation, do not write about adults you depend upon for motivation.

I'm sure C. will learn from this teacher, but this assignment, as the very first piece of writing the kids are asked to do, is revealing.

For one thing, this teacher (this may be a department assignment - I don't know) is assuming, without having met these kids, that they aren't naturally self-motivated already -- that parents nagging and pushing their kids is a universal in this district:

If you get tired of a parent asking you about your schoolwork, the only way to make it stop is by taking the responsibility yourself on a regular basis. Once a parent sees you have this part of your life under control, everyone in the house will be less “stressed out”.

In fact, Christopher is highly motivated to do his schoolwork, and always has been. This is true of a number of the kids in the class, perhaps a large number. (I don't know them all.)

The nagging and pushing that take place around here are always about our requirement that Christopher do "homework" for us, too.

I'm not sure what he can say to fulfill this assignment. He's not old enough, yet, to have reached the point where he needs self-motivation and anti-procrastination tricks in order to learn something he wants to know. That's because the things he wants to know are pretty simple to learn (cheats for videogames come to mind).

It's not like he's sitting around thinking, "I really want to learn calculus."

That day will come (let us hope), but a desire to learn a demanding and difficult subject is not a feature of most 8th graders' lives.

The fact that this assignment was given to students this teacher has just met tells you something important about how my district perceives parents (and kids). The universal assumption, sometimes explicit, sometimes implied, is that pushy parents are a problem.

Kids need to separate from pushy parents; schools need to help kids separate.

My sense is that affluent schools see pushy parents the same way all schools seem to see state tests.

The truth is that pushy parents and state tests are a problem for the school, not the kids.

One could argue that all education is a spiral.

Perfect!

10 comments:

Tex said...

Around here, the big middle school message we kept hearing was, “Don’t push!”

We’re still hearing it in high school. “He’ll find his way, don’t worry.” When we learned he was not on track to gain admittance to his father’s alma maters, my son’s guidance counselor told us, “Things are different nowadays.” That’s another theme, apparently the whole world has turned upside down in the last 20 years. Kids need to be “engaged” today, not like the drones we were in high school years ago.

(Actually, I agree the world HAS turned upside down. However, that should not be an excuse to lower education standards.)

Catherine Johnson said...

We’re still hearing it in high school. “He’ll find his way, don’t worry.” When we learned he was not on track to gain admittance to his father’s alma maters, my son’s guidance counselor told us, “Things are different nowadays.”

This is a big issue for us.

Ed went to Princeton.

I went to Wellesley and Dartmouth.

Our middle school principal, speaking of what kind of college our district is preparing kids for, looked me in the eye and said, "I went to Syracuse University. I think that's a pretty good school."

Apparently, my school's goal is to regress everyone's kids to the mean.

Catherine Johnson said...

I didn't know anything about Syracuse University until a friend told me that Syracuse has the reputation of being a school for students who have affluent parents and weren't able to get into state universities.

If that's the case, I'm appalled -- and I do get the feeling, around here, that parents' finances are of no concern to anyone working for the school district.

If our kids can't get into SUNY, no problem.

We can afford $40,000 a year for Syracuse.

I've never heard anyone working for the district say that they want to help kids earn scholarships, get into places their parents can afford, etc.

Catherine Johnson said...

Another thing.

I would like to know how many parents here hold Ivy League degrees.

I bet it's a lot.

Then I would like to compare that number to the number of Irvington students getting into Ivy League colleges.

That number, I know for a fact, is tiny.

Doug Sundseth said...

Steve: "Mastery of skills is paramount. Spelling ... to writers is NOT like math skills is to mathematicians. This is an ignorant analogy."

Absolutely correct. A better comparison would be to the ability to construct and support a logical argument (since math is just a more rigorous form of logical argument). Just as a writer can't make a coherent presentation without those very basic skills, anyone who relies upon any mathematics at all cannot do anything useful without basic math skills.

There's no such thing as a general logic checker implemented in software. (BTW, you have no idea how tempting it is to use some sort of inflammatory example here. 8-) I'll just leave those to the imagination of the reader, who will cheerfully supply his [i]own[/i] biases.)

Catherine: "Write a letter to your English teacher discussing what motivates you and/or when, where or how you become motivated to learn something. Provide at least two or three self-motivating methods."

1. Fear.

2. Greed.

That pretty much covers it. You either want something or you want to avoid something. And that's true of the most self-motivated of us, by the way. It may be fear of embarrassment, desire for validation, fear of being fired, or desire for a really big salary, but there's really not much that doesn't fit in one of those categories.

Somehow, I suspect that an honest response to that call would not be appreciated by the teacher.

Catherine Johnson said...

Ed voted for "fear" last night.

He never complains about any aspect of his job (another problem with this assignment - the kids are supposed to talk about how hard it is for them to do their schoolwork).

Last night he mentioned one particular aspect and said, "I hate doing 'X.' I hate it. There is nothing to be learned from it, I don't enjoy it, it is sheer drudgery. I do it because if I don't, there will be trouble."

Catherine Johnson said...

Actually, what she seems to want is an essay on techniques to overcome procrastination.

I have problems with that, too.

My neighbor said, "Have him write about the Premack principle."

That's what I'm going to do if I can talk him into it.

LynnG said...

I would think the average MS student would say something like:

1 girls
2 money

These are the only motivators for teenage boys.

But fear and greed work too.

Doug Sundseth said...

Lynn, as I see it, those both come down to greed. 8-)

SteveH said...

"There's no such thing as a general logic checker implemented in software."

As a student, I always wanted an assembly instruction called GCAR: Get Correct Answer Regardless. Or one called RMM: Read My Mind.

(Sigh)