kitchen table math, the sequel: Mental Math link

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mental Math link

I spent the morning with my new friend Angela McIver, who evaluates the math skills of middle-schoolers and older children. I saw some fascinating videos of children struggling through basic math problems in ways that suggested huge gaps in their elementary school instruction.

Angela is a big proponent of mental math, which Reform Math programs not only marginalize, but, in insisting on explained answers, actually mark children off for. Among other things, mental math forces you towards maximally efficient strategies, with all the mathematical insights this entails.

She recently searched the Internet for mental math activities, and just sent me a good link.

5 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

I thought the reform curricula promoted mental math!

Catherine Johnson said...

I needed a lot more practice in mental math.

C. has practically no ability to do it....

Yet another gap.

Katharine Beals said...

My impression from what I've seen is that Reform Math restricts mental math to estimation problems. I don't recall any Reform problems in which kids are required to do precise calculations in their heads.

SteveH said...

"I don't recall any Reform problems in which kids are required to do precise calculations in their heads."

I've noticed that too. Actually, they only seem to expect common sense to show numeracy. You know the type of question: Does a baby weigh 1 pound, 10 pounds, 50 pounds or 100 pounds?

I see no lack of mental estimation ability with kids who have mastered the traditional algorithms. I do it left-to-right and my wife does it right-to-left. Reform math students reach for the calculator.

Reform math is low expectations hiding behind "understanding".

Dawn said...

I found the same activities here - http://www.aea267.k12.ia.us/cia/math/Routines.html - in a neater format. The same link also has daily review sheets for quick daily practice!