kitchen table math, the sequel: constructivism at Wikipedia

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

constructivism at Wikipedia

constructivism

Constructivism views learning as a process in which the learner actively constructs or builds new ideas or concepts based upon current and past knowledge. In other words, "learning involves constructing one's own knowledge from one's own experiences." Constructivist learning, therefore, is a very personal endeavor, whereby internalized concepts, rules, and general principles may consequently be applied in a practical real-world context. The teacher acts as a facilitator who encourages students to discover principles for themselves and to construct knowledge by working to solve realistic problems. This is also known as knowledge construction as a social process (see social constructivism). We can work to clarify and organize their ideas so we can voice them to others. It gives us opportunities to elaborate on what they learned. We are exposed to the views of others. It enables us to discover flaws and inconsistencies by learning we can get good results.

Kinda falls apart there at the end.

3 comments:

Ben Calvin said...

Strategies such as case studies, role playing, simulations, and self-evaluation are most useful.

As an adult working in a professional, semi-technical environment, I can say that I hate training that uses case studies, role playing, simulations, or self-evaluation (especially role playing). Give me the content I need to know in the shortest possible time frame and I will be much happier.

Tracy W said...

"learning involves constructing one's own knowledge from one's own experiences."

So what do they call it when you construct your own knowledge from someone else's experiences?

For example, in my first aid courses I was taught how to treat various health problems based on other people's experiences. I personally would say that I learnt how to perform the Heimlich Maneuver. What would the writer of this call that?

Catherine Johnson said...

that reminds me...I read a paper somewhere talking about medical school being taught as "problem-based learning" -- there's also a school of engineering somewhere that is all about discovery, as I recall

that's almost as scary as the folks learning to fly using badly-designed flight simulators...