kitchen table math, the sequel: stereotype threat redux

Saturday, January 31, 2009

stereotype threat redux

If you're interested in the not yet peer reviewed study of Obama's inauguration and its effect on test scores, it's probably worth reading this (long) 2-year old post on stereotype threat.

Stereotype threat is real; I've experienced it myself more than once in my life.

My worst experience, which is mortifying to this day, happened at Dartmouth.

When I was at the college, there were a tiny number of women attending classes as the first group of co-eds.* Everywhere we went, we were surrounded by a sea of men. This meant that I rarely opened one of the remarkably heavy doors to the big old buildings on campus, because if a Dartmouth boy got to the door first -- and a Dartmouth boy always did get to the door first -- he opened the door for me.
's always
So I was used to having the enormous, heavy, old wood doors opened for me by Dartmouth boys.

One day I found myself walking alone towards the student center, nobody around but me. The student center was a new building, and its entry door was a standard-issue, see-through glass job, weighing what all such doors weigh and easily opened by a 4-year old child.

I clutched. There was no one around me to open the door ---- and I spent a split second thinking that if there was no one to open the door, I wouldn't be able to get in. This was a conscious thought.

It was appalling.

Worse yet, I was a raging feminist at the time. Mary Daly,** Andrea Dworkin -- you name the angry feminist author & I'd read her, underlined her, & annotated her up the ying-yang. I wanted a career & success, and I wanted a career and success in a world filled with men who had careers and success. I was on a Mission from God.

So there I was, Mary Daly aficionado; I'm walking to the Student Center, and I'm consciously asking myself, "How will I get inside the building if nobody opens the door?"

Ever since that moment, and especially in light of my revelatory experience of stereotype threat on a television game show, I've wondered about this phenomenon.

First of all, how conscious is stereotype threat most of the time? I have no idea. All I know is that there have been 3 occasions in my life during which I have become consciously aware that I (apparently) believed I could not do things men can do. Like open doors, for instance.

But how many times did I unconsciously activate this thought?

And second: does overcoming stereotype threat require a certain personality?

I've thought about that a lot. I was a scrapper, and have always been happy to scrap with myself, if need be. (Not coincidentally, I'm sure, very often I do need be.) The only reason I managed to prevail on the game show was that I was so furious with myself that I was more or less able to get out of panic mode and into battle mode.

But suppose I hadn't been a scrappy person?

Suppose I'd been a meeker sort of person?

I think the outcome of the game tells me the answer. All three contestants appeared to be scared witless, and the contestant who won was the contestant who managed to work up a bit of wrath. (Which reminds me: I've got to get a post up about the research on success and "Agreeableness," one of the five personality factors psychologists seem to have reached consensus on.*** Turns out super-successful people really aren't as nice as not-super-successful people, just like everyone thinks. Research shows.)

Back on topic: I'm very keen to see the effects of an Obama presidency on young black people ... and in fact I have already seen one such in my own house: C. (the other C.) has cut his dreadlocks! He said it was time for a change. I told him: OK, now you have to go to law school.

Funny thing: I have changed my blonde hair back to its original brown, and I have done this entirely because Michele Obama is a black woman who has black hair. Don't ask me why.

Fortunately, it's working out fine. I say "fortunately," because it doesn't always. Back when Hillary was First Lady & she cut her hair, I cut my hair, too, and I looked like he**.

That's not all. When George Bush was elected president, Ed bought me a pair of cowboy boots; plus I have two Sarah Palin skirts, which I bought on sale and wear to school board meetings.

Point is: people are weirdly social & sociable, and we spend a lot of time copying the folks around us or above us. That's the moral of Alex the parrot, who couldn't learn one-on-one, but learned brilliantly when he had a model to copy & compete with.)

These are interesting times.

That said, I still don't like the stimulus bill.



Obama and the stereotype threat (Frontal Cortex)
D-Ed Reckoning on the nitty gritty
Stimulus Bill Would Provide Flood of Aid to Education

* aka "co-hogs," which was not a term of affection. You could be sitting in a lecture hall, minding your own business, and suddenly, from behind, you'd hear: "Look at the co-hog taking notes."

** I wish to heck I'd kept my old copy of Gyn/Ecology. I'd love to read all the stuff I wrote in the margins. otoh, how excruciating would that be? Thank God I never kept a journal.

*** Personality: What Makes You the Way You Are by Daniel Nettle

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your oldKTM post was fascinating. I can't recall any such conscious episodes in my own life, even though it'd be convenient!, and I have a lot of thinking to do before I say much intelligent on this subject, but:

how does stereotype threat work with personality stereotypes?

Maybe "working up wrath" for example was simply another stereotype--much like "you just don't panic, and you drive yourself or your kid to the hospital". Maybe much of our own behaviors are fixed not by our personalities per se, but by the stereotype threat of our personality?

if we've been told we're depressed and unhappy, or we're flaky, or the dumb blonde, or the old maid, or the dating loser, etc. etc. etc.?

Anonymous said...

As an undergrad a Johns Hopkins in the 80s, women faculty in the sciences were extremely rare. I can remember attending a genetics lecture with a guest speaker who was female and thinking to myself "What's this? Women can't be geneticists." It took a moment to recall that I was a woman training to become a geneticist. Until that moment, I hadn't thought that it was important to see someone like me doing the job I wanted to do.

C T said...

My children are redheads. I hate it when people say that they are "feisty" because of their hair color. Dumbest stereotype ever! I have no intention of letting people's lame comments affect my daughters' personalities.

Anonymous said...

While I hate the stereotype, I do have to admit that my redhead is feisty.

Anonymous said...

i wish people would stop thinking the alex the parrot was actually speaking.

the ball of feathers was making a given sound to get a treat, you could not ask alex questions, he probably didn't know the meaning of what he was saying, only that a sound got him a given treat.

he's a clever hans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_Hans

Catherine Johnson said...

As an undergrad a Johns Hopkins in the 80s, women faculty in the sciences were extremely rare. I can remember attending a genetics lecture with a guest speaker who was female and thinking to myself "What's this? Women can't be geneticists." ." It took a moment to recall that I was a woman training to become a geneticist.

WOW!

What a story.

Thanks so much for posting.

The thing is, I'm not "PC" about this at all (now) --- and I hate all the male-bashing and victim-mongering that goes on around this issue.

Nevertheless, stereotype threat is real even for people you'd think it wouldn't be real for. (Like me, for instance.)

What was appalling to me was that I could think it was impossible to beat a man on pop culture trivia.

That just seems ludicrous - and it is ludicrous.

But there it is.

Catherine Johnson said...

anonymous

aauuggghhh!

I must defend Alex the parrot.

Alex the parrot was a bloody genius.

You may quote me.

Catherine Johnson said...

btw...I met a parrot who had spontaneously used the past tense.

He said, "I flewed."

Catherine Johnson said...

My children are redheads. I hate it when people say that they are "feisty" because of their hair color.

oh gosh --- don't know if I should tell this story--

but what the he**

I have a friend who has....maybe two kids with bright red hair. Beautiful, beautiful hair.

They are a handful!

Their mom says absolutely there's a red hair/fiery temperament connection; she told me a hilarious story about giving birth to the second child and wanting to know just one thing: did the baby have red hair?

That said, I have no idea whether red hair is connected with anything at all ---- !

Catherine Johnson said...

fyi: hair color in animals is connected to temperament!

The research on black versus ginger cats is very cool.

Catherine Johnson said...

if we've been told we're depressed and unhappy, or we're flaky, or the dumb blonde, or the old maid, or the dating loser, etc. etc. etc.?

It's probably the same thing -- ??

Offhand, that's my guess.

Catherine Johnson said...

Maybe "working up wrath" for example was simply another stereotype

OK, I think I know what you're saying.

I'm pretty sure I didn't have a stereotype of myself as particularly scrappy at that point. I hated conflict (I still do!), and my upbringing stressed the value of being calm and cheerful come what may.

"Calm and cheerful come what may" is my mother's actual personality, btw. She's amazing.

I remember the exact moment I developed a personal stereotype concerning the quality I'm calling "scrappiness."

I was sitting in a conference room in Manhattan, listening to the co-owner of a small P.R. firm give a pitch. At some point she said she fought for her clients; then she said, "I'm Irish, so I like to fight." (Something along those lines).

It was a revelation. This will sound strange, but I hadn't really absorbed the stereotype of the Irish as scrappy characters --- and suddenly it hit me: I AM GENETICALLY SCRAPPY.

Of course, writing this in a Comments thread, I may sound like a stereotyping jerk ..... but the reality of that moment is that I had a blinding case of recognition right then and there.

As to ethnicity & character, maybe my Scots-Irish background is related & maybe it's not....but at that moment, listening to that woman, I suddenly realized that I was a fighter by temperament.

It wasn't just that I had spent my life happening onto situations where conflict would be involved, although I had, which is to be expected if you're going to spend a lot of time venturing forth into the world.

The truth was that I was the kind of person who naturally jumped into the fray -- and who probably liked jumping into the fray to boot, even though I thought I didn't.

Catherine Johnson said...

Maybe much of our own behaviors are fixed not by our personalities per se, but by the stereotype threat of our personality?

I think that's the question people are asking when they talk about things like stereotype threat.

I had another false belief about myself for years, actually.

This will also sound dumb, but until just a few years ago I had never heard the term "Scots Irish," and I didn't know I was Scots Irish.

I thought I was British by heritage.

So I was always hearing about British reserve & British repression of emotion, etc....and I could never quite get it. I just didn't seem to have it in me to be reserved, and I didn't even really feel as if I understood the concept.

When I read James Webb's book about the Scots Irish, I thought: Holy cow. I get it! Practically every word in the book leapt out at me; I was having recognition moments on every page.

I called my mom to find out where our ancestors are from, and she said something like, "Well my grandparents were from Ulster."

Then I asked where my dad's ancestors came from & my mom said, "Well his family came from Ulster, too."

I thought: "That explains it."

Anonymous said...

Cultural stereotypes exist for real reasons, and those behaviors ARE parts of those cultures. But this is where it gets tricky, supposedly 5 generations is all you need to lose the hereditary features of your forebears (that is, after 5 generations, the hypothesis that X came from inheritance is not more likely than the hyp that it came from random genetic fluff or mutation. Yet at least one genetic "map" of the people in Europe shows genetic markers in the populations as being so clustered that the map looks like Europe itself...

So, the Irish as scrappy, the Spaniards as lazy, the Polish as utterly maddeningly and prone to drama, the Russians as miserable, the Germans as order seeking, genetics? or once genetics, and now personality stereotype?

Watching Polish television was jaw dropping. Their sitcoms and their soap operas all have the women flying off the handle into spells of anger followed by spells of crying, oscillating wildly between "I love you I need you" and "I hate you", followed by the men all saying repeatedly "calm yourself."

it was borderline personality disorder on tv, in their everyday happenings. it is, as far as I can tell, the national character of Poland.

palisadesk said...

Loved the KTM-1 post and hey, I was on "Sale of the Century" too! I won heaps of stuff. It was fun. Oddly enough, I would have been nervous if it were an occasion like addressing an audience. However, I couldn't see the audience in the studio because of the lighting (I knew they were there, of course, but not seeing them gave the stage a private feel) and since I had never seen the show and almost never watch TV, the "TV" part didn't seem real or threatening.

The absence of any context can also be an advantage -- beginner's luck kicks in. I did well because I had no idea what I should be worried about.

Luke Holzmann said...

Gladwell in "Blink" had a fascinating chapter on how having demographic questions at the top of tests affects the performance of students. Stereotypes do affect us, often in ways we aren't even aware.

~Luke