kitchen table math, the sequel: a math "skirmish"

Monday, March 16, 2009

a math "skirmish"

at Ed Week

I left a comment that doesn't seem to want to post:

Parents can find information about why other parents -- many of whom are themselves mathematicians or are employed in math-related professions -- object to constructivist math curricula at kitchen table math, the sequel, which I cofounded with Carolyn Johnston, a mathematician who was struggling to
remediate Everyday Math
at home.

And here is an interview with my cousin who sent her child to private school because of severe problems with Everyday Math.

My position in the math wars (and in the reading wars & the liberal arts wars) is simple:

Parents need a vote and a veto.

I am not a mathematician.

But when I see real mathematicians rejecting this curriculum, I want school districts to do likewise.

At the same time, I am willing to fund Everyday Math for those parents who freely choose Everyday Math for their children's education. I support the choices of others, and I ask that they support the choices I make.

The curriculum wars will end when parents and taxpayers have a place at the table.

2 comments:

SteveH said...

"The curriculum wars will end when parents and taxpayers have a place at the table."

I think a better way to put this is that the curriculum wars will stop only when parents have choices. This is not a matter of finding a balance. I don't want a balance of low versus high expectations. I don't want a balance of traditional versus reform math. For many districts, there is nothing stopping them from offereing a choice of curricula.

Choice becomes more difficult when you are dealing with very basic assumptions. I've said before that years ago I told a couple of members of the school committee that they should hand out Hirsch's Core Knowledge series of books and tell parents that this is NOT the education their kids will receive. I don't think our schools are capable of choice. The only solution is a much larger availability of charter school choices.

Barry Garelick said...

I think a better way to put this is that the curriculum wars will stop only when parents have choices.

For those old enough to remember, the protests against our involvement in Viet Nam dropped sharply when Nixon repealed the draft.