kitchen table math, the sequel: college is bad for your brain

Sunday, January 21, 2007

college is bad for your brain

well this is depressing

...the more you know the more you have to lose. The rate from test-year to test-year at which the more educated participants lost their word-recall ability was proportionately faster, with both groups finishing with nearly identical word-recall capabilities at the study’s end.

[snip]

“Even though we find in this research that those with higher education do better on mental-status tests that look for dementia-like symptoms, education does not protect better against more normal, age-related declines, like those seen on memory tests,” said Dawn Alley of the University of Pennsylvania, a co-author of the study


This fits nicely with the research I read somewhere this weekend showing that kids, especially high-stress kids like, say, TWO AUTISTIC KIDS, shorten your life.

Chronic stress appears to hasten the shriveling of the tips of the bundles of genes inside cells, which shortens their life span and speeds the body's deterioration, according to a small, first-of-its-kind study involving mothers caring for chronically ill children.


Of course, that could work.

I can be dead before my memory goes.

wait!

isn't this Sunday?

I thought I had a rule against writing morbid posts on Sunday.

yes

I did

I guess I FORGOT

No comments: