kitchen table math, the sequel: process, yes. have it your way, no.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

process, yes. have it your way, no.

To my latest, Myrtle Hocklemeier said:
Since the mathies in my life have always said that math is "justification, justification, justification" rather than simply the answer, I always thought that THAT sounded remarkably like fuzzy math.

But there is a difference and maybe in some future post you can expand on that.
Yes, there are several differences. But first, let me tackle an issue that grates on me. There are a number of concepts/methodologies/terms that have been hijacked by the educrats, and as a result, reasonable people react negatively to them. Portfolios. Rubrics. And yes, process.

Here's the first difference: The educrats say process is more important than the solution. I do not. The second difference is that educrats are speaking of what I call Burger King math (Have it your way!), where any old way students can think up to arrive at a solution is equally great. I, on the other hand, am speaking of a process that has been taught since Aristotle -- or has been until recently -- a process that is designed to teach us to think clearly, linearly, sequentially, and logically.

I understand Ricky's frustration with formalism. I was the same way. I lost points on math assignments because I was good at math, and I skipped steps (when I was in school, you lost points for that). So let's say I was supposed to solve (3x - 1) / 4 = 5. Here's what I was supposed to turn in:

(3x - 1) / 4 = 5
3x - 1 = 5 * 4
3x - 1 = 20
3x = 20 + 1
3x = 21
x = 21 / 3
x = 7


Instead, I would do something like this:

(3x - 1) / 4 = 5
3x = 21
x = 7


It's the right answer, of course, but I didn't get full credit, and I shouldn't have (though at the time, I thought I should have). This was in the space race/New Math era, so the focus was not only on the correct solution, but getting us to understand what we were doing. But as a student, the only justification I could think of for this anal retentive insistence on showing every tiny step was to make sure you hadn't copied your answer from somebody else.

Being on the other side of the desk changed my perspective.

Cheating control is a small part of it, yes. Another part of it is learning to follow instructions (something I have come to appreciate as one of the most important lessons we should learn in education -- because so few of my students can follow simple directions). But mostly, it is about learning to think.

If one of my students hands in an assignment with just the correct answer and no work, he gets no credit (for the first two reasons above). If one of my students hands in an assignment with the correct process (work), but the wrong answer, he gets partial credit -- because by showing the work, he has shown that he has learned something, even if the answer is incorrect (no, not lots of partial credit, but partial credit nonetheless), and because learning the process is a big part of our educational mission.

Note that I'm not saying process is everything, or that the correct solution isn't important. Note that I'm not saying estimation, but solution. And note that I'm saying the process, and not just process.

There is a right way to approach a problem -- sometimes more than one right way, particularly as you get more advanced -- and then there are wrong ways to approach a problem, ways that might in some instances get you the right solution, but will in many other instances lead you to the wrong solution -- or worse, an "estimation" instead of a solution. The other problem with wrong ways to solve a problem is that they do not discipline the mind in that admittedly boring, sequential, logical thought process that has applications to ever aspect of our lives, and not just mathematics.

That's my biggest objection to Burger King math -- and I have many.

I realize this is a conservative point of view, but there is a reason something has been done since Aristotle, and tossing something out merely because it is traditional is madness.

10 comments:

Rudbeckia Hirta said...

In my class, I expect enough justification so that I'm certain that the student is certain as to why the next step follows from the current one (and isn't just making a lucky guess).

PS: To Catherine: the invitation you emailed me expired before I got a chance to activate it.

Jim Anderson said...

I remember those days of "show your work," pre-algebra onward. If a teacher had cared to explain to me why showing work was important, I at least would've had the choice to comply graciously. Teachers (myself included) sometimes forget to justify their process to students.

Catherine Johnson said...

I lost points on math assignments because I was good at math

Haven't read the whole post yet, but this line caught my eye.

This is something I've been thinking about.

I believe there are costs to gifted and talented kids taking courses like the one Christopher is in.

Yes they can get through it; they can get As.

But not one of them is being taught formalism; they're all relying COMPLETELY on sheer speed and getting-it-fast to make it through.

This post may help me begin to explain to other parents why I think the course is bad, period.

Here's what we face in Irvington (have only begun posting about it).

Once you hit middle & high school everything is based in and controlled by the fastest learning kids.

For instance, the only kids who can count on "being successful" in 8th grade Earth Science are kids scoring in the top 90th percentile of the country on the CTBS science subscale.

The school believes, and tells parents, that these are the only students who "belong" in the course.

However, using sheer I-can-remember-it-after-seeing-it-once brainpower isn't the same thing as expert instruction, deliberate practice, and the development of expertise.

Catherine Johnson said...

rudbeckia

If you don't have a new invitation in your queue, let me know.

Tex said...

From the New York State Scoring Guide for the 4th grade math test:

“For questions in which students use a trial-and-error (guess-and-check) process, evidence of three rounds of trial-and-error must be presented for the student to receive credit for the process.”

http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/3-8/math-sample/gr4sg.pdf

Burger King? Big whopper?

It’s not clear if guess-and-check is allowed for all problems, but I would not be surprised if it is.

BeckyC said...

Beware the different meanings of "process" especially in elementary school.

I score a monthly mathematics story problem set for my child's teacher. Each problem is worth six points for six steps:

1. Restate the question
2. List the important information
3. Name your strategy
4. Solve
5. Label your answer
6. Verify your solution

A child can have NO idea what ANY correct mathematical process would look like to accomplish step 4, let alone step 6, and yet the child will get four points out of six for having learned the "formalism" of steps 1, 2, 3, and 5.

The school intends to teach a formal problem-solving process. The school will tell you that they are teaching a formal problem-solving process. And those four steps ARE critically important:

Step 1: can you find the actual question and repeat it accurately?

Step 2: can you recognize the important information and separate it from the unimportant information?

Step 3: can you describe what you are doing?

Step 5: did you identify your answer by putting a box around it?

And yet so many kids can get four points out of six and be making NO forward progress on discovering or improving their logical approach to solving whole classes of mathematical problems. Steps 4 and 6. The mathematical core of each problem can go completely unrevealed. It is maddening. And it doesn't show up in the scores. It's like an artificial price support?

Unknown said...

"The school intends to teach a formal problem-solving process. The school will tell you that they are teaching a formal problem-solving process. And those four steps ARE critically important"

Indeed, they are, but to judge from the worksheets I see, they're too far abstracted from the process, never grounded in the process, and too far removed from the math itself.

"It's like an artificial price support"

Or dairy subsidies, which has become one of my pet peeves since moving to Pennsylvania.

SteveH said...

"I realize this is a conservative point of view.."

Oh oh. I finally disagree with you. There is nothing conservative about it. It's quite math-like.

Very nice comments.


I've made comments like this before about students trying to debug a program correct. Rather than study the code and evaluate each line one by one (this requires discipline), they start changing something, rebuild, and run it. The is the computer science version of guess and check. They may fix the program for their sample data set, but anything else fails.

Instructivist said...

Here's what I was supposed to turn in:
(3x - 1) / 4 = 5
3x - 1 = 5 * 4
3x - 1 = 20
3x = 20 + 1
3x = 21
x = 21 / 3
x = 7


At the beginning, I would even insist on additional intermediate steps:

Show the multiplication by 4 on both sides and show how 4 cancels on the left side, and

3x - 1 + 1 = 20 + 1

Unknown said...

"Show the multiplication by 4 on both sides and show how 4 cancels on the left side, and"

See? I skip steps.