kitchen table math, the sequel: Brrrrrrr... it's cold

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Brrrrrrr... it's cold

No, I haven't frozen to death here in Alaska.

I am sorry to say that the Anchorage school system is no different from that of the lower 48.

The most disappointing thing is how much lower the standards are here, compared with South Carolina. I skimmed through my kids math books, and the standards aren't very high. I feel like my kids lost a year.

In other news, Alaska is beautiful and we have moose hanging out in our backyard.

7 comments:

Karen A said...

Rory--it's great to hear from you!

Tex said...

Yes, I hope you will be commenting and blogging more frequently now that you’re kinda settled.

I’m curious, if you care to share. What was the driving reason for the move to Alaska? That was a big change in climate, for one.

TurbineGuy said...

Tex, I am in the Air Force and I had been at my last base for 4 years. Every couple of years I get wanderlust and Alaska came open.

Who knows, Alaska is the type of place that is perfect to retire to.

Catherine Johnson said...

Moose in your yard!

That's a step up from deer!

Way up!

Catherine Johnson said...

We have so many deer here we could be said to be deer owners.

Two summers ago we had this one young deer who hung out in our yard so much we were considering giving him a name.

The dogs wouldn't chase him. Even Abby, THE LABRADOR, wouldn't chase him.

VickyS said...

Rory, what math curriculum are your kids using in Anchorage?

LynnG said...

We have mellow black bear and deer here. I'd love to have a moose meander through, but what is the bear situation up there?

I had a cousin spend a few years at a base in Anchorage. He loved it. After that, he went to Colorado as it was the most similar to Alaska.

So, have you started attending Board of Ed meetings up there?