kitchen table math, the sequel: mini word problems

Saturday, September 29, 2007

mini word problems

Tex asked earlier about the component skills involved in solving word problems, which sent me back to the old site searching for the posts we wrote about mini word problems.

I'm not sure these are directly on-point, but they're useful nonetheless.

I'm still enamored by the concept of "out loud" word problems, which I pretty much forgot about after writing the post saying out-loud problems were a good idea.

March 6, 2006 how do you teach your child word problems?
March 7, 2006 mini word problems
Apri 23, 2007 arithmetic to algebra


component skills

Brainstorm!

We must all re-read exo's posts.

I'm starting a component skill list:

  • underline or circle the values you need to "pull out" of the problem (someone else will need to word this properly)
  • draw a chart

more t/k

Ed just got back from Stew Leonard's/Costco, so the next hour of my life is accounted for...

2 comments:

Tex said...

Oh boy, I have just started to read all these posts. As usual for KTM, informative & entertaining.

Catherine Johnson said...

That one long comments thread is a HOOT! Plus it's filled with content I'd forgotten....can't believe there are Comments from Rudbeckia Hirta about teaching word problems.

Needless to say, I'm going to be quoting her to my district. (more anon)