kitchen table math, the sequel: brain scans will save the world

Monday, February 5, 2007

brain scans will save the world










See?

It's all biological!




Sorry, I couldn't resist. This image is just too funny. Takes me back to my NAAR days (Nat'l Alliance for Autism Research) when scientists on our SAB would sit around heaping scorn on brain scans and what journalists & regular people thought they were learning from them.

The article is actually pretty interesting. Also, I have the sense that brain scans have come a ways since I was vetting research proposals, though perhaps one can't say the same for the field science illustration.

Fast language learners boast more white matter
New Scientist

4 comments:

Ben Calvin said...

Have you seen this article about a man working as a bar bouncer who tests out at 195 on the IQ scale?

http://megafoundation.org/CTMU/Press/PopularScience/PopSciInt.pdf

Anonymous said...

Is that the same guy that works in a one room trailer and has all of these books on metaphysics and such?

I think on one test he was off the charts.

If it's the same guy.

Barry Garelick said...

I notice faster learners have areas in the brain in red, and slower learners in blue. A subtle red/blue political message here? Huh, huh?

Catherine Johnson said...

hahaha

yes, the old red-state-blue-state brain-scan finding