kitchen table math, the sequel: Two Resources for Math Facts Mastery (1) Video Game, Timez Attack, (2) Re-introduction to Dave Marain's MathNotations Blog

Monday, January 14, 2008

Two Resources for Math Facts Mastery (1) Video Game, Timez Attack, (2) Re-introduction to Dave Marain's MathNotations Blog

Review from Math Notations


Here's the heart. of his review.

Having seen dozens of computer learning software products both online and on CD-ROM, I've reached the point where I can rapidly identify quality and Timez Attack is quality in every sense. I decided to email Ben Harrison, the president of the company, and share my thoughts about his product, the only item his company sells at this point. I explained that I would like to write an objective review of Timez Attack for MathNotations after I had an opportunity to try it myself and to observe a child using it. I asked him if he would be willing to give me access to the full version and he agreed. I haven't had time to thoroughly play around with this new version, but my son has been on it for about a week and he likes it. To derive the maximum benefit of this software, I feel I need to establish consistency for him to be on it for at least 15-30 minutes a day for about a month but that has not yet happened. I already see better retention but he is still only on a beginner level.

Here's the BigBrainz homepage:

http://www.bigbrainz.com/index.php

Repetition is the key to mastery, so this does look really promising. The "starter version" is free.

MathNotation
is maintained by Dave Marain

Look for fully developed math investigations that are more than one inch deep, math challenges, Problems of the Day and standardized test practice. The emphasis will always be on developing conceptual understanding in mathematics. There will also be dialogue on issues in mathematics education with a focus on standards, assessment, and pedagogy primarily at the 7-12 level through AP Calculus.

Previous mentions of Dave Marain & MathNotations at KTM:

Interview with Lynn Arthur Steen one, two and follow up commentary: one two

9 comments:

Dave Marain said...

Thanks for the mention and the kind words.
I am watching the effect this 'game' is having on my son's learning. That's all the evidence I need...
Dave Marain

concernedCTparent said...

My son enjoys Timez Attack. It has the feel of a real video game and he almost doesn't realize he's practicing his multiplication because he's having fun.

Anonymous said...

We also have Timez Attack - my kid loves it. I would love for TA to make the same program for addition and subtraction facts, but I asked and the owner said they're making improvements to TA first.

Dawn said...

I reviewed Times Attack on my blog awhile ago. I didn't have the wit to ask for a review copy though! :)
It's head and shoulders above anything else that's out there. My daughter is used to some pretty graphics intense and sophisticated XBox and PC games and still thinks Timez Attack is fantastic.

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl van Tilburg said...

Liz, Thanks for the link to MathNotation (a great site) and the Timez Attack info! I downloaded it yesterday, and my son already loves it.

Cheryl vT (in Singapore)

concernedCTparent said...

Now if Ben Harrison would only format Timez Attack for the Wii. What fun would that be? I might actually have to order my son to stop practicing his multiplication facts because he had exceeded his time limit. How cool would that be?

Dave Marain said...

Lori, Dawn --
I'm glad you share my strong positive feelings about this software. Children with learning disabilities will still struggle to retain their facts, but I believe that sustained effort with Timez Attack over time will help. Aside from the professional quality of the video game graphics, the developer of this program has an excellent understanding of how children learn and, of course, what motivates the current generation. Having communicated with Ben Harrison, the president of BigBrainz, I came away with the feeling that he is actually motivated by more than the usual bottom line. His bottom line is that one day all children will feel that learning their multiplication facts is no big deal. When was the last time you could say that about the CEO of a company!

BTW, it took me awhile to figure out I should contact companies directly and ask them to allow me to try their product, particularly being allowed to use it with my children. They are generally pretty receptive to this. I make it perfectly clear up front that I will write an objective review and I am under no obligation other than to give my honest opinion. I also post full disclosure on my blog explaining this.
Dave Marain

M@ said...

Put this on Dave's site as well -- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Timez Attack (though the site seems to be down right now?)

But it was too dark/difficult for when my little girl was ready to learn her tables... the Montessori school she goes to teaches basic addition and subtraction THEN multiplication, as it's actually easier to do multiplication than it is to do 'carrying' and 'borrowing' in addition/subtraction.

Anyhoo, I tried Timez Attack and enjoyed it, but like I said the controls were too difficult/concept too scary for a 4-5 year old so instead I checked out the Schoolhouse Rock complete DVD collection and they have a song with a different muscial style for each number upto 12 (that's NOT annoying to the adults within earshot).

Put it on the TiVo and iPod and it worked like a charm! So if you have a little singer that can memorize all the lyrics to all the songs she/he hears, then give SHR a go...

So use that as ammo when they want to take Music out of your public schools -- you can use it to teach and lock-in rote memory stuff easily.

Fractions are taught in art class using paper plate pizza pies that the kiddos get to create!