kitchen table math, the sequel: Teaching Phonics is NOT Rocket Science

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Teaching Phonics is NOT Rocket Science

When I worked in the Air Force as a scientist and a statistician, I met plenty of very smart rocket scientists, and they made me feel stupid in comparison.

A recent informative post about Reading First stated "Louisa Moats' comment that "Teaching Reading is Rocket Science" is not to be ignored."

Having met actual rocket scientists and seen what actual rocket scientists really do, I can tell you that teaching reading with phonics is definitely NOT rocket science. I have also tutored students in Algebra and Trig, and tutoring with phonics is easier!

However, it is hard for teachers who have not learned about the phonetic structure of the English language and have only been taught whole language and sight words techniques which not only contradict basic phonics principles, I believe they make it harder for the brain to learn phonics because of sight word picture overshadowing.

I have posted before, here and here, about sight words and guessing. You really have to see the guessing to believe it for yourself. Without nonsense words and teaching words in isolation, it is hard to break the habit. In Rudolf Flesch's 1955 (and republished in 1985!) "Why Johnny Can't Read," he has an entire chapter titled "Word Guessing--its Cause and Cure." He states on page 114 of this chapter,
"To begin with, let's try to isolate Johnny from his word-guessing environment....Let him stop all reading--all attempts to read. Explain to him that now he is going to learn how to read, and that for the time being, books are out. All he'll get for several months are lessons in phonics."
(There are easy to use phonics lessons in the back of this book.) One warning about Flesch--he is very sarcastic, he fought unsuccessfully for years with schools and teachers and it shows in his writing.

Guessing and its cure is discussed in this RRF thread.

Now, this might seem to make it sound like teaching phonics is a hard thing, as well as facts like "There are 166 letter-sound correspondences, which are too many to learn." promoted in whole-word oriented linguistics texts.

However, it really is not, if you start with an open mind, have no whole word teaching practices to overcome, and use a good phonics book that is designed to take the rocket science out of teaching reading.

I can't find the quote, but either Adams or Chall in their review of different reading methods found that when teachers made the switch from phonics to whole word or vice versa, they retained much of their old teaching methods. This seems to be happening in many Reading First classrooms.

Toe-by-Toe, a good remedial phonics program used in the UK that uses syllable division and nonsense words (but too many sight words, they need to read my sight word page to find out how to teach them phonetically!) has this tidbit:

Q: Is this book solely for the use of teachers or other professionals?
A: No! Teachers are often restricted by classroom procedures. Parents have no such procedures to inhibit them; they start with a 'clean slate'.

With my first student, I made several mistakes and taught her some sounds incorrectly at first, but she still made amazing progress--just learning that all the letters had sounds and that all words could be sounded out if broken up into syllables was a revelation and a motivation for her, she learned rapidly despite my initial errors--in fact, she was relieved that I made mistakes--it actually gave her more confidence that she could learn to read.

I had started with whole word teaching for a month, and was very excited about it after hearing its praises sung by the literacy organization I was tutoring with. However, she only learned 3 words in the 3 months I worked with her using whole word methods. In her first phonics lesson, she learned to sound out around 30 words she had never seen before, including three 3-syllable words.

When teachers used phonics in one room schoolhouses, there were not many problems learning to read, and the teachers were often girls as young as 16 (Laura Ingalls Wilder was 15, but she's obviously an exceptional person) and they taught everyone the 3R's while keeping order with boys often bigger and older than them in the classrooms.

In 2003 and 2004, I visited a nursing home with my daughter and met a then 94-year-old woman who had taught for a while (11 years?) in a one-room-schoolhouse in Texas. She said she used phonics and ALL of her students learned to read. She also said she never had any discipline problems. (She was a small lady, too!) She didn't think it was any big deal what she did, and changed the subject rapidly when I tried to get her to go into more detail. Two of her 4 brothers died fighting for our country, and all 4 went to war. She didn't think she had done much in comparison, and thought nothing of the fact that all her students learned to read.

I'll post later about the nuts and bolts about teaching phonics and how easy it actually is if you do it right and have the proper tools. In the meantime, if you're interested, you can find good resources for that here:
My free online spelling lessons (2 hours total, teaches all the phonics you need to teach someone to read.)

Don Potter's Education Page (lots of free good phonics programs and instructions on how to teach phonics--including Remedial Reading Drills, the method used to teach Flesch's Johnny how to read.)

My list of good phonics and spelling books

How to teach with Webster's Speller (syllables!)

How to teach a remedial reading student
How to teach a beginning reading student

8 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

I'm so grateful you're writing these posts. Haven't mentioned this on the blog yet, but the Reading First study has made me feel that I need to find a way to do volunteer work as a reading teacher if I could actually do it. I know just from around here the damage that comes from balanced literacy; we have parents bankrupting themselves to pay $40,000/yr to send their struggling readers to the Windward School in White Plains.

I assume that the Reading First study means "SBRR" reading instruction is going to be dead for another 50 years....

("SBRR" = scientifically based reading research)

In any case, if it's possible to do this - and to do no harm - I think some of us should try to find a way.

Catherine Johnson said...

Which brings up another question: it's not so easy to come up with ways to volunteer as a tutor.

We (or I) need some kind of agency or structure that makes this possible.

Math Forum is a good model in its way, and it's the only real model I'm aware of.

Is there an agency or organization that connects volunteer tutors with students?

I'm sure there must be but I don't know what it is.

concernedCTparent said...

I've been thinking a lot about this too. I'd love to get DI training and have noticed that in my area there aren't many people with that skill set. With this RF setback, we're going to need lots and lots of well trained people to undo the damage and we're going to need them very soon.

Anonymous said...

There are lots of tutoring companies with an online presence. Google it. I'm not sure how they recruit but one of those sites surely must have a need for talent.

On a weakly similar note, do you think there's a market somewhere between private school and tutoring? I'm thinking specifically of remediation teaching? I've investigated tutoring and most of what I've found is more like homework help than a focused alternative curriculum.

I'm wondering if parents who know they have kids that aren't performing up to their potential in a public system and might be entertaining one of those 30-40K private solutions, might be receptive to something in the 10K range that was formal and focused on getting kids back on grade level. Call it tutoring on steroids.

Dawn said...

I keep thinking that reading is one thing where, if we want to learn how to teach it, all we've got to do is observe one child showing a another child how to read. Whenever my daughter does this with my son or my neice she always, without fail, does it with phonics.

Kids know what works.

ElizabethB said...

I started out with volunteer literacy organizations, they wanted you to use their methods--all either whole word or balanced literacy. Laubach Literacy had somewhat more phonics, but taught it very slowly, and they have now gone away as an organization.

Now, I just hand out reading grade level tests to everyone I meet and offer to give them to the child if they don't feel comfortable doing it. I usually have more students than I can keep up with.

In areas that were especially bad, I have taught large groups--it takes twice as long per student, but saves time overall if you're teaching more than 2.

I'm somewhat limited in teaching large groups currently with the frequent moves, small children, no family in the area, and a busy and unpredictable job for my husband. However, this summer I hope to teach a large group of inner city children our church works with and have some friends at church watch my children while I do the teaching. Eventually, I hope to be able to reach the 70% of prisoners who are illiterate--either soon through some kind of teach the teacher program (our church does prison ministry, too) or when the children are older, or if we ever live near grandparents.

A good but sad book is called "Retarding America: The Imprisonment of Potential" by Michael Brunner. He wrote it in 1993, and proved that phonics could make a big difference for imprisoned youth, and that it saved money (I think $1.83 for every $1 spent, it's been a while), but not much has been done here. In the UK, they use Toe-by-Toe in the prisons, and have a good volunteer effort going:
http://www.toe-by-toe.co.uk/prison_project.html
A New York program works with prisoners, I'm not sure if they're in Catherine's area or not, and Charlie Richardson recently passed away, so I'm not sure who's left holding down the fort, but here's their website, when Charlie was in charge they used good explicit phonics programs:

http://www.tlc.li/astor.htm

Any nearby community center may have a group of children available--especially for the summer.

I recommending finding a child of a friend or neighbor to "practice on" first.

As long as you don't teach word families or sight words, you're only doing good--and while I think Webster is the best way to go, any phonics method that is explicit will work. (Anything listed on my site, Don Potter's site, or the National Right to Read Foundation. I'm sure there are others out there, but these are lists I trust.) And, you can use any good phonics methods in conjunction with one another--they don't conflict, they just build on one another and it's also helpful to see things explained and presented in different ways.

I think walking around with reading grade level tests is the way to go--people really do care whether or not their child is where they should be, I haven't had a person turn me down yet, in fact, many people want extra copies for their friends.

The Wide Range Test, linked from here, is the quickest test to administer:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

Having young children has actually improved my volunteer tutoring efforts, it made me put my lessons online and now I reach more students online every month than in all my years added together (since 1994) of teaching "real" students. And, having them online lets adults who are ashamed to admit they can't read watch them in the privacy of their own home.

However, "real" students are more fun. I love seeing the look on their faces when they finally get it, and I love seeing the transformation they make as they learn to read. Their confidence improves, they get more optimistic about life and their prospects, and they get excited about reading.

The literacy organizations also told you not to accept any gifts, even small ones. However, many of my students and their parents couldn't help themselves--they were so grateful and wanted to do something in return. I still have a hand crocheted doily from my first student's mom (the student was 33 years old!) Really, who are you hurting by refusing to accept such a gift? The string probably cost 20 cents, and it was a labor of love.

Anonymous said...

Laubach Literacy had somewhat more phonics, but taught it very slowly, and they have now gone away as an organization.

They merged with another organization and are called Pro-Literacy. Depending on which office you hook up with you'll either be teaching out of Laubach or whole language, gotta ask before you volunteer.

Laubach materials are still in print...they were a few months ago. Any ProLiteracy office can hook you up with a publications catalogue. :-)

ElizabethB said...

I found my methods worked about 10 times faster than the Laubach methods and 2 or 3 times as fast as a regular good explicit synthetic phonics program without syllables or nonsense words.

...and about 1,000 times faster than whole word methods, especially at the point of diminishing returns when they already know 1,000 to 5,000 sight words but cannot sound out a single new word.