kitchen table math, the sequel: advertisements for myself

Friday, October 17, 2008

advertisements for myself

A starred review in Publishers Weekly!

Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson. Houghton Mifflin, $26 (288p) ISBN 978-0-15-101489-7
Grandin (Animals in Translation), famed for her decades-long commitment to treating livestock as humanely as possible on its way to slaughter, considers how humans and animals can best interact. Working from the premise that “an animal is a conscious being that has feelings,” the autistic author assesses dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs, poultry, wildlife and zoo animals based on a “core emotion system” she believes animals and humans share, including a need to seek; a sense of rage, fear, and panic; feelings of lust; an urge to nurture; and an ability to play. Among observations at odds with conventional wisdom: dogs need human parents, not alpha pack leaders, and cats respond to training. Discussions of why horses are skittish and why pigs are arguably the most intelligent of beasts—raccoons run them a close second—illuminate the intersection of people and more domesticated animals; chapters on cows and chickens focus more generally on animal welfare, particularly the horrific conditions in which they are usually raised and slaughtered. Packed with fascinating insights, unexpected observations and a wealth of how-to tips, Grandin's peppy work ably challenges assumptions about what makes animals happy. (Jan.)

PW will run an interview with Temple in the 10/20 issue.




(I've just noticed that Jay Mathews' new book on KIPP is listed on the same page!)

13 comments:

Doug Sundseth said...

And how am I expected to buy this as a Christmas present if it won't be out until January? Hmmm?

I mean, there's always International Skeptics Day, but I have my doubts about that one.

Oh well, there's always Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friends Day, I suppose, so it's not a total loss.

8-)

Congratulations.

LynnG said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is terrific news. It comes out in January?

Is that the same dog from Animals in Translation?

Did I mention I saw AIT two weeks ago at Borders on the end rack? They had it prominently displayed. That was no more than 2 weeks ago.

concernedCTparent said...

WooHoo! That's fantastic. You should be very proud. Congratulations.

concerned said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

WAY TO GO!!

(Is it coming out in January?)

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Is that a golden on the cover?

SusanS

Unknown said...

Nicely done! So, no previews for Christmas gift giving?

K9Sasha said...

Congratulations!!!

It sounds like a great book and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and read it. I'm a sucker for books on dogs and on animal behavior.

By-the-way, what are all the books you've been co-author on? I know you co-wrote Shadow Syndromes, Animals in Translations, and now Animals Make Us Human. Since I have (or soon will have) all those, I'm curious what else you've done since you write on such interesting topics.

Anonymous said...

NEATO!!!
congrats!

was working with grandin especially interesting to you because of your own experience with your sons and autism? did it make it easier ?

Tracy W said...

Congratulations, am deeply curious about the dogs need human parents bit.
My grandad the farmer agreed with you about pigs' intelligence.

Catherine Johnson said...

Hey, Doug! Good to see you!

(Hear from you, I mean!)

Thanks, you guys.

It's pretty exciting.

The book is also my "Scared Straight" experience. I missed the deadline on the book, and I never want to do that again.

So I'm working on reforming myself.

I've just recently started daily emailing with an "Executive Function Buddy," which is something I've always wanted to do.

I'll probably try to get a post up about that. It relates to accountability in interesting ways I think. The problem with being self-employed is that you have to be accountable to yourself, particularly when you don't have daily contact with clients.

It's HARD.

Catherine Johnson said...

back in a bit--- (lots of picking up of kids in all corners of the county)

Independent George said...

Congratulations, Catherine! I've already put it in my amazon shopping cart.

Ben Calvin said...

Great news! Looking forward to it.