kitchen table math, the sequel: a grave injustice

Monday, May 9, 2011

a grave injustice

The interesting thing is that the teacher had tenure. We can fire teachers over personal past history within weeks, but it takes years to fire a teacher with tenure over professional competence.



I have two master's degrees, five years' experience in the nonprofit sector and three years' experience teaching -- and I cannot get a job. Why? Just google me. I'm the "Hooker Teacher" -- at least that's what I've come to be called ever since Sept. 27, 2010, when I found myself on the cover of the New York Post.

"Meet Melissa Petro," the story began," the teacher who gives a new twist to sex ed." The piece describes me as a "tattooed former hooker and stripper" who was "shockingly upfront about her past." Indeed, earlier that month, I'd written an Op-Ed on the Huffington Post that criticized the recent censoring of the adult services section of Craigslist and came clean about my own sex-worker past. Because I was arguing that sex workers shouldn't be ashamed to speak for themselves, I signed my name to it. The New York Post wasn't interested in my politics, however; its interest seemed only in cooking up shock that an elementary school teacher would dare admit such a shady history.


http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/05/04/hooker_teacher_what_i_was_thinking/index.html


I mean I wouldn't have minded her as a teacher I think. She had clearly separated her private past from her public present.

My country's elections are finally over; so the NY Post's reporting-with-an-agenda-to-destroy now really sickens me. More than a teacher's hooker past.

2 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

awful!

Jen said...

There are lots of people with her qualifications/similar qualifications looking for jobs (points at self).

The truth about teaching right now is that they are looking to winnow the number of people they have to look at when hiring. Writing about a past that could cause a school a headache? That students could google and read about?

I dunno, it just seems like a strange career choice in the last profession where everything you do seems up for grabs (holding a beer/other beverage in a facebook photo, for instance, or having it known that you attended a bachelorette party).

Anyone who doesn't think that counts doesn't understand the current state of "teacher-ing" -- cause it's not about the teaching.