kitchen table math, the sequel: treemageddon, part two

Sunday, August 28, 2011

treemageddon, part two

Hell.

C. just looked out the window and saw that we have 4 trees leaning on their sides against the hill out back. I'm pretty sure all of them are toppled, though I can't see whether their root balls are exposed. Doesn't look good.

The ground is saturated from the rainiest August we've had in all the years they've been taking measurements, and a moderate wind was enough to push them over.

It's like the earthquake damage you see in countries without earthquake building codes. An earthquake that wouldn't faze Los Angeles levels Haiti. Right now, where trees and soil are concerned, we're Haiti.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

When we bought our house, one of my criteria was "no trees on property". Because I have a vegetable garden, I want sun. But I also don't want to have to worry about trees. Unfortunately, the town forced us to plant one in front, in a space where no tree should be planted, and what I though was a tiny tree on the side when we bought the house is now a monster, and no one seems to know if we own it or the neighbors own it. I wish I had taken it out when we bought the house