kitchen table math, the sequel: south of the border

Saturday, December 8, 2012

south of the border

Ed was reading an article in The Economist this morning when he came across this:
He also announced plans to take on the teachers’ union, a fearsome organisation that long enjoyed a cosy relationship with the PRI. Mexico’s schools are the worst in the OECD, a club of mainly rich countries, largely because the union controls teacher recruitment and training. The president says he wants to professionalise training and to ban hereditary teaching jobs...
With a little help from my friends
The Economist | Dec 8th 2012 | MEXICO CITY
Hereditary teaching jobs.

That's a new one on me.

1 comment:

Laura in AZ said...

Hmm... I've read quite a bit about Mexican history including the PRI, up through the 80s and early 90s. I remember reading about teachers and some of the problems they faced as each new government came to power. However, I don't ever remember reading about "hereditary teaching jobs."

I googled it (just quickly) and only found a few references to this - a couple were to this Economist article and one was to a blog but no sources.

I'm not sure about this, though I haven't had time to really do any research on it.