kitchen table math, the sequel: Perplex this!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Perplex this!

I'm thick in the middle of things, but in my travels today I came across this passage (two seconds ago, actually) and I had to post.
Dan Meyer, 31, is in the process of becoming a celebrity math teacher (hey, it’s a small group). Much of his rapid trajectory upward can be explained by his message, which involves a digital curriculum that will (he says) instantly engage and perplex kids and thus resolve all classroom management issues (more on this later), a message tailor-made to appeal to both techies, since it implicitly attacks all teachers, and progressive educators, since it is inherently constructivist.

Dan Meyer and the Gatekeepers
educationrealist
He had me at "instantly engage and perplex kids and thus resolve all classroom management issues."


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading Dan Meyer's blog for a few years now, and that summary of his message is very distorted.

While I don't agree with everything he says, he does have some useful approaches to teaching math. He is a little too enamored of video presentation for my taste, but his way of structuring math problems is pretty good.

Barry Garelick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I don't think it's appropriate to out her in the comments. She has chosen a pseudonym and there's no reason to disrespect that wish.

palisadesk said...

She "outs" herself all over the internet, so nothing is actually being "revealed" here.

Anonymous said...

OK, obviously I missed where she outed herself as "ER." Care to share a link? I'll humbly retract my comment.

SteveH said...

Dan Meyer is in his own little world that's completely defined by what walks into his classroom. Unless he has recently changed, he sees or cares little about where these kids come from or where they are going in terms of opening career doors.


ER's cutting review should really be directed at those who raise up people like Mr. Meyer.


"... this essay will be interpreted by some as an attack on Dan Meyer, ... But ..."

Nice try at saying you're not doing what you really are doing.