kitchen table math, the sequel: MOOCs and mikes

Sunday, December 15, 2013

MOOCs and mikes

gasstationwithoutpumps wrote my next post---!

MOOCs should mike the audience.

Eureka
Eureka, part 2
Eureka, part 3
Eureka, part 4
Eureka, part 5

Flipping the Classroom: Hot, Hot, Hot
MOOCs grow the gap
The New York Times is surprised
In the world of MOOCs, 2+2 is never 4
World's funniest joke: humor depends on surprise
Dick Van Dyke on comedy
Philip Keller on the flipped classroom
If students could talk
Who wants flipped classrooms? (Salman Khan on liberating teachers)
True story
Are math & science lectures boring in a way humanities & social science lectures are not?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I own something like 20 of the Great Courses and you have solved a big mystery for me. The only ones I've sat all the way through were the ones I watched *with* my son. The ones I intended to watch on my own didn't get watched at all or I watched 1-2 lectures at most. As for MOOCs, I've signed up for many of them but only made it through the first lecture (if that). With one glaring exception--I made it all of the way through the Jo Boaler course this summer because it made me so mad.

Anonymous said...

The other thing the MOOC courses and the Great Courses could do would be to add a lot of non-talking-head material. Basically, make the lectures into documentaries. People don't have as much trouble watching, say, Walking With Dinosaurs.

Contrast, say, "World at War" with some random 20 lecture series on WW-II.

The problem with this is that it is *EXPENSIVE* (and also harder to do).



-Mark Roulo