kitchen table math, the sequel: testing, testing

Saturday, March 24, 2007

testing, testing

from Independent George:

I completely disagree with the first statement:

The tacit assumption is that if our students score higher on standardized tests that they will be better prepared for life.

No, the tacit assumption is the converse: if students are better prepared for life, they will score higher on the standardized tests. In other words, if students are able to read and count, then they should have no problems with tests on reading and math.

I don't know any supporters of standardized testing who think that the tests themselves are what's important. The only subset of people I've ever encountered who actually believe that are testing opponents, who think that the tests themselves are causing poor performance by students.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I couldn't say better!
Tests are not bad - they let us assess students, they work as motivating pushing force for students (and a pretty good force!).
But if you know material and have the skills - tests are not problematic for you. If you don't - well, blame the test.

Anonymous said...

Hear! Hear!

(or is it: here! here! ?)

Passing the test doesn't prove that you know the material to the point of mastery. You might have gotten lucky.

*Failing* the test probably does mean that you don't have the material mastered (probably because you could have gotten sick ... or just test poorly -- but I suspect that most students who test poorly do so because they don't know the material).

This is kinda like properly done science ... you can never *prove* a theory. You can only disprove theories. However, a theory "passing" a large number of attempts to disprove it is usually a good sign that it is fairly accurate.

-Mark R.

Tex said...

Oh yes, this is so true. A student who really knows his stuff is going to do poorly in tests? No, I don’t think so.

But I think one reason many parents begin to oppose tests is because there is a problem with implementation. I’ve been discussing with other parents here about how for many days after state testing, substitute teachers are in our classrooms because our regular teachers are busy grading the tests. This is after months of using a lot of classroom time to prepare for those tests.

I think there’s a lot of non-teaching going on.

Unknown said...

It's hear, hear (since you asked).

Catherine Johnson said...

A student who really knows his stuff is going to do poorly in tests? No, I don’t think so.

I love it!

Catherine Johnson said...

The implementation is a mess.

Although I must say, I think this is one area where my own district is actually better than others.

(I should add that other parents disagree with me on this.)

My opinion -- JUST mine -- is that C's teachers don't put any more time into the tests than they should.

Actually, Ms. K puts in less.

sigh

The math test gives you an opportunity for REVIEW. (The ELA test doesn't.)

Review is good.