kitchen table math, the sequel: Common Algebra II Test

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Common Algebra II Test

Nine States announced that they will give a common test for algebra II starting next year. Achieve.org is helping design the test.

Arkansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island will share standards and the tests, and are expected to release scores on the test to colleges.

Apparently, this is being driven by the recent research that showed students that pass algebra II are more likely to succeed in college. U.S. News carried this article today.

This seems like a great idea. Now I need to lobby my State Dept of Ed to join in. If the colleges find it useful, I hope it puts pressure on many more states to join the group.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I found your site while searching for math websites, and would like to propose a link exchange with you. I am creating a site that explains math concepts that are usually the most difficult for students. I am adding material to it regularly, with a goal of creating several ‘lessons’ that span numerous math topics. My site is at http://sk19math.blogspot.com. Of course, I would be more than happy to link back to your site.

Thanks for the consideration!

Catherine Johnson said...

this is incredible!!!!

wow!

How did you find out??

Catherine Johnson said...

Hi SK19 -

I just left a comment at your site:

hi!

The blog looks great!

I've written a post directing people to your site, but I can't for the life of me get a link posted.

For some reason I'm having a terrible time posting links to other Blogger blogs. I get a message saying that the link is taking too long, so the site is aborting.

Are you having the same problem?


Catherine Johnson
kitchen table math the sequel

LynnG said...

Hey Catherine --

The article on the common algebra II test popped up on a google news search for math education. I wasn't looking for it.

But here is something interesting -- since Massachusetts is involved, and since Wilfred Schmid was a major force behind the Mass. math standard revisions and remains an advisor to the Mass DOE, can we read anything into this latest development?

Is it too much to hope that some similar recommendation might come out of the Math Panel, of which Schmid is also a member?

Or am I just wishfully looking for links?