kitchen table math, the sequel: soldiers in wartime

Monday, May 28, 2007

soldiers in wartime

This week's "Five Best books on..." in the WSJ -- ($)

On Memorial Day, keep in mind these books about soldiers in wartime, says Sen. John McCain
By SEN. JOHN MCCAIN
May 26, 2007; Page P6

For Whom The Bell Tolls
By Ernest Hemingway
Scribner, 1940

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
By Edward Gibbon
1776-88

This Kind of War
By T.R. Fehrenbach
Macmillan, 1963

Hell in a Very Small Place
By Bernard B. Fall
Lippincott, 1966

All Quiet on the Western Front
By Erich Maria Remarque
Little, Brown, 1929


7 comments:

Exo said...

Three of these books (Hemingway, Gibbon, and Remarque) were required readings when I was in 10th grade (World Literature class)... Heh... I love Remarque..

Catherine Johnson said...

Good grief.

I don't know if our kids even read Hemingway any more.

10th grade.

Catherine Johnson said...

I've read only the Hemingway.

I was educated by wolves.

LynnG said...

I read none of these in school. I'm not sure I'd heard of Hemingway before college.

But I was required to read Go Ask Alice in the 11th grade.

I was educated by slugs.

I think A Bright and Shining Lie could make McCains' list of best war books. But that's Vietnam and I don't think the nation is ever going to be ready to talk much about that war.

Catherine Johnson said...

But that's Vietnam and I don't think the nation is ever going to be ready to talk much about that war.

Well sure.

After we're all dead.

Independent George said...

Actually, I always had the opposite impression; it seems like we never stop talking about that war. Korea seems to be the one that nobody ever talks about.

Independent George said...

Which, incidentally, would seem to be a great reason to pick up Fehrenbach's book. I would be tempted to say it should be required reading for HS seniors, except everybody knows that HS history ends on on 6 June 1944.

What does it say about me that I've read 4 of the 5, but none while I was in school?