kitchen table math, the sequel: Los Angeles Times: The Homeroom Blog : Southern California schools, from the inside out

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Los Angeles Times: The Homeroom Blog : Southern California schools, from the inside out

Check out this post from new TFA physics teacher and L.A. times blogger Lance Chapman.

He has discovered the need for standard algorithms in his first month of teaching.

I knew my students would need remedial work, but I had no idea it would be to this extent. One of the first standards for eighth-grade physical science is manipulating this equation: speed equals distance divided by time (S = D/T). This is a foundation for upper-level skills in physical science. Next come velocity, acceleration, and gravity. I knew that many of my eighth-grade students would have trouble converting fractions into decimals, but I never fathomed that 10 divided by 2 would give so many of them trouble.
...
That was a week and a half ago. I am thrilled today that almost all of my students can divide and convert fractions to decimals (based on a test). I am scheduling one-on-one tutoring with the other students to ensure that they will be able to do so, too. I realized that what they needed was a recipe, something to follow every time so that it was systematic. [emphasis mine]
What, you mean having the students discover their own methods of doing math won't work?

No comments: