kitchen table math, the sequel: extra help

Monday, December 31, 2007

extra help

C. has completed all but one of his make-up math homework assignments & was in the midst of doing the "POW" (From 1994 through 1997, the cost per mile of owning and operating a car increased by 2.2 cents per year, etc.) when a kid in his class called for help.

A gratifying moment. Possibly a milestone!

I could hear the boy on the other end jabbering away, firing off one question after another. Chris' answers were precise and correct. (I think.)

The other boy didn't sound convinced.

"Are you sure that's right?"

"Yeah, that's the answer."

"Are you sure that's right?"

"That's the answer I got."

"Are you sure that's right?" The kid seemed to be needing a lot of reassurance.

Finally C. said, "It's right, my mom checked it," and I thought yikes. The blind leading the blind.

When he hung up, C. said "That was fun, getting called for help with math." I agreed that it was, and after we'd basked in glory for a bit I said, "Why did he call you?"

"He said he tried everyone else and no one was answering their phone."


Happy New Year!

2 comments:

PaulaV said...

Happy New Year to KTM!!

Paula V. :)

le radical galoisien said...

I've spent all my holidays writing essays and doing applications. :-(

(Prompt from UChicago: "Describe a picture and explore what it wants.")