kitchen table math, the sequel: Tease

Friday, January 4, 2008

Tease

Does anybody have a current subscription to City Journal? I stupidly let mine lapse (again), and the homepage keeps taunting me with the promise of a forthcoming Sol Stern piece entitled, "School Choice Isn't Enough: Instructional Reform Is The Key To Better Schools."

Of course, not reading TFA has never stopped me from opining before, so allow me just add that while I agree in theory, but in practice, instructional reform is likely impossible without choice.*

* This is the classic argumentation template for students who skipped the reading. "While I agree in theory, I think actual implementation would be rather difficult." The funny part is this was usually my conclusion after I eventually did the reading, which is probably why it worked.

6 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

oh my gosh!!

My subscription lapsed, too.

wow

And the web site is completely different - it's great.

They used to have a huge amount of free content on the home page, didn't they??

Just last week??

I hope I downloaded the Sol Stern article on Bloomberg's various reforms.

Catherine Johnson said...

Grading Mayoral Control

NYC Educator said...

Wow. Thanks for that pointer. Sol Stern is exactly on point about Bloomberg, and that's what I've been watching for years. It's sad because I was guardedly optimistic when he announced he was going to improve education in the city.

Catherine Johnson said...

I know. Me, too. The whole thing has been extremely distressing & demoralizing. The P.R. and the unethical use of data massaging really get my goat.

Catherine Johnson said...

make that distressing, demoralizing, and infuriating

Unknown said...

"School Choice Isn't Enough: Instructional Reform Is The Key To Better Schools."

I have said the same thing here. It's a fairly obvious point.