kitchen table math, the sequel: how do character educators see children?

Monday, February 18, 2008

how do character educators see children?

I sat in my kitchen, stunned by what I had just heard on the evening news: A young girl in a neighboring city had been sexually molested by other children under the age of 10. News reports about children and teens violently hurting one another, committing crimes, and sometimes taking lives made me wonder about what might have influenced them to act as they had. I began to consider the impact that I have on the moral development of the lst graders in my classroom. Could I do more to influence how they treated others?

I have always taught my students such concepts as honesty and respect, but usually in response to something negative that has already happened. I wanted to foster their desire to developpositive character traits before I had to deal with negative behavior. Although I believe that families provide the foundation for character development, I also agree with Thomas Lickona that "schools cannot be ethical bystanders at a time when our society is in deep moral trouble" (1991, p. 5). More than 90 percent of respondents to a 1993 poll agreed that schools should be involved in teaching such values as courage, caring, acceptance, and honesty (Elam, Lowell, & Gallup, 1993). Although I knew that my efforts could not cure all the ills of the world, I decided to try to make a difference in my little corner. My two challenges were to find time for character education and to create a program that worked.

source:
How Character Education Helps Students Grow
by Gloria Rambow Singh
Educational Leadership
Volume 59, Number 2

I'm just going to go ahead and call this moral panic.

I don't like moral panic.

1 comment:

SteveH said...

"schools cannot be ethical bystanders at a time when our society is in deep moral trouble"

And of course schools run this by the parents and get their approval. Right.