kitchen table math, the sequel: exo on Power Teaching

Sunday, July 27, 2008

exo on Power Teaching

Knowing a bit about exo, I consider this a very strong recommendation:

Hey, I used it.))) I modified it and called a "Power Learning". (Also found it online).

I introduced as an experiment into all four of my 8th grade advanced classes, which I taught the Living Environment Regents to in the 2nd Marking Period. I used couple of things: The initial call "Oh, sweet mama, how exited I am to learn... (whatever the aim says)", "WoW" for correct answer, and "It's cool" for incorrect; "class"-"yes" call was used to get the attention during the lesson. I also used the points system (+ point for timely and uniformed call, and - for lost attention). 5 pluses added to 1 percent up in everyone's marking period grade, 5 minuses brought everyone's grade down.

We also set up a chart, where we compared the unit quizzes results (using power learning system - experimental group, prior to this - control; all four classes also were compared to each other based on the plus points collected and avarage test results. In addition to averege, we check for number of students in each class whose results were above 90. I used the same tests for all classes and taught the same material at almost the same pace.)

Now, discipline improved drastically. It was much easier to get and maintain their attention. I dropped "Wow" and "It's cooL" responses pretty soon, since it seemed to direct their attention from the actial answer to just joy of saying "Wow."

Most of the students greatly enjoyed this experiment and even tried to make other teachers to use this method. Some (the most advanced kids, who can keep their attention on the subject without "dog training" complained in the beginning, but we agreed that at least it was beneficial since this method allowed other students to be attentive and the whole class could move along faster. (The hypothesis for our experiment was that "Power Learning" allows students to pay attention better, and thus increases retention of the material as demonstrated by increasing number of students who can achieve 90 and above and increase of avereage grade on tests).

I kept the system even after the experiment was completed (we collected data for 2 marking periods) because the students insisted. And results did clearly demonstrated that more students in each class were getting 90 and above, and almost everybody's results improved as compared to when I did not use this method. Of course, the results were better for classes who collected more pluses, than where students still manage to loose attention.

Which simply shows, that discipline is important for learning, and this system is just a tool. There are other tools, too. But in many cases they are not achievable in our public schools, where administration does not support teachers, and students have no consequences for their actions.

I believe it. Engelmann uses choral responses (I've forgotten his term for it); KIPP uses call-and-response, Protestant churches have always used responsive readings. These things work.

Exo -- if you're still around -- what do you think, specifically, about the gestures & the peer teaching?

Are those elements important?

Or would the approach work just as well without?

This is exciting.


Power Teaching
exo on Power Teaching

8 comments:

Redkudu said...

I'm reading some of the downloads on their site now. I looked at phonics, now I'm looking at "Power Teaching Teens."

The point system suggested subtracts or adds points to the whole class, even based on one student's behavior. The rewards/consequences are less/more homework, extra credit on quizzes, etc. (I couldn't make the homework promise, but I could do earning points on quizzes.) Any thoughts on that?

Exo said...

Yes, I'm around (though moved to NJ and next year I will teach Bio, Anatomy, and Ecology at a catholic school.
Clarifications regarding "POwer Learning". We used gestures to some point. For instance, when saying "Oh, sweet mama...." I propted them to follow my gestures and tone with "smile on your face, happiness in your heart". Tone and gestures varied greatly (I was fooling around a bit...). So not much gestures, and no repetition after teacher like they do in the video (I think in one piece the math teacher teaches division(?)). I didn't do it - my 13-14 year-olds wouldn't buy it.
I used another line, though: "This test is a piece of cake because I know everything!" every time when we had a test. Worked nicely.
I tried peer teaching - didn't work out. Well, all these group work techniques never worked out for me anyway. I can't really catch if all students really "teaching" or just saying "blah-blah-blah" in a class of 34.
Rregarding points... They were collecting them for the whole marking period. And yeas, for misbehavior of one, the pojnt was taken off from the whole class. No "extra" point on tests (well, in each of my test there was an extra credit question anyway -the most difficult one, from the material well above the required).
To tell you the truth, even though I was telling them that the marking period grades were lowered down for everyone, I did not have to do it, since our idiotic report card system did not allowed for precise percentage to be entered. That means, if the kid had 77%, the teacher could enter 75 or 80 only. And nothing above 99 (which was not fair since I had a number of students who consistently performed at the well above 100% level...
But yes, the plus points - I added to report cards. (So a 77% student definitely received 80%).

Exo said...

So I used a quiter version of "Power Teaching", though it still required me to be highly animated. Since I taugh a high school course in Bio (plus a crash course of General Science because my students were in Middle School), I had a lot of content to cover. So I lectured heavily (and the desks in my class were facing forward and were in raws, he-he). Of course, in addition to constant questioning, the "Call-Response" system helped to keep the lecture flowing really well. The students were often surprised the the lesson ended already.
Even my principal (who was trying to make me put the desks in groups at the beginning) kept bringing parents of incoming six-graders to brag about "our Regents class".

Redkudu said...

Did you have any problems with transitioning to quiet or independent work?

Anonymous said...

Using reinforcement to keep students on task is unappreciated in modern education.

I visited a DI school in Colorado Spring, CO (Cheyenne Mountain Charter Academy). The children were on task all day long in every subject. It's truly amazing. And they are completely pumped about being at school.

I wish more teachers and schools thought about this. Instead, they are on stand-by to blame students.

jh

Exo said...

Did you have any problems with transitioning to quiet or independent work?

No, Since I did not used "calls" too often, and did not used "peer-teaching" at all. I lectured (that means the class was quetly listening and taking notes"), and when I need them to do something I was just saying "Class!" they responded "Yes!" following my tone, and then I gave the directions. During labs, when some level of noise is expected, the calls were also very useful if I needed to point something out.
Again, this was for the HS level. For younger kids, repeating after a teacher may be necessary. For 13-14 and older - this may count as an offense. Or may not. I was just blessed with some very high level kids - they didn't need this "power learning" in the first place.

ElizabethB said...

Jumping jacks work, too!

I had a poly-sci class after lunch in College, except for 1 or 2 in the class interested in that type of thing, it was pretty boring. The instructor knew this. About halfway through the class, he would have us all stand up and do a few jumping jacks. That would wake us up for a while. (Lunch in your tummy + boring class = sleepy students.) Especially boring topics would require 2 sets of jumping jacks.

We all groaned and thought it was a bit silly, but it worked.

A use a version of this with my daughter while homeschooling. She is acutely focused for 10 - 15 minutes of work, then she gets to play and run around for a bit, then we finish up the last 10 minutes. On bad days, she gets 3 or 4 breaks. We get more learning accomplished in those 20 minutes than goes on in a normal school day in even a good school. (Plus, we never have to work above or below her level.)

We're doing 1st grade next year, we'll spend a bit more time, but we'll still have breaks! Many of those ADD-diagnosed boys probably need more breaks and less sugar and cokes. I read somewhere that the average child in the U.S. has 5 or 6 cokes a day, and someone is making up for my children who get 1/2 coke per week, or none when Dad's on a trip--and all the Mormon and Amish kids are probably not drinking their fair share, either.

Tracy W said...

and all the Mormon and Amish kids are probably not drinking their fair share, either.

Giggle - slackers!