kitchen table math, the sequel: your brain on bar diagrams

Saturday, February 24, 2007

your brain on bar diagrams

Somebody really did do a study on this. MRI of brain on bar diagram vs. traditional algebra.

"In Singapore schools, algebraic word problems are taught using two methods: formal algebra and model. The latter depicts relevant quantitative relationships between unknowns in a pictorial format. In this study, we used fMRI to investigate whether the two methods are subserved by different cognitive processes. "


It would have been more interesting to see this study done on children rather than adults. I'm guessing it would have turned out more like this:




4 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

I love it!

I have to find the brain illustration I got from a neuroscientist at UMDMJ.

Where's the study??

Catherine Johnson said...

duh...

I've got it.

Fascinating.

I'm so glad you found this; I was wondering whether the Singapore bar models would have the same (hypothesized) effect the Ravens-type items in contemporary K-8 math books do.

Can't tell yet whether this study implies that they do - still figuring it out.

Catherine Johnson said...

wow!

Myrtle, this is a find.

Incredible.

This may be exactly the opposite of the Ravens article.

The bar models decrease demands on attentional resources.

The bar models do exactly what Sybilla Beckmann says they do (and what I've always believed they do): they allow children with very immature frontal lobes and attentional capacities to do simple algebra problems by limiting the demands on attentional capacity.

I'm going to guess that they limit the demands on working memory, too, but I don't know.

Unknown said...

Did I mention that I love the title?