kitchen table math, the sequel: true confessions

Sunday, March 25, 2007

true confessions

re: wall-mounted grocery bag holders

We use a milk jug for the same thing.
- rightwingprof


I've got a cloth one that hangs on a door knob. I love it. My husband thinks I have a bag problem.

I'm a bag hoarder. But I don't want to re-use them in case I don't have enough. So, I just collect them. Just in case.

There's probably a special medication out there for something like this.
- Susan S


I store mine in empty kleenex boxes. That way I can hoard both plastic and paper.
- anonymous


I use a 2L bottle with a hole cut in the side (flame the edges of the hole so they aren't scratchy). With two young boys around, I go through lots of plastic bags, and we haven't even hit "play in the fountains" season yet.

As for dog bags, we decided the odds of holes in re-used bags was too high, and instead buy them online 1000 at a time: http://www.leisuremore.com With two large dogs, this is so worth it!

And don't knock the sensor trash can. Our dog figured out how to open the lid on our step-can, so we decided to try the sensor can. He's skittish, so when the lid opens he runs away. We're hoping that he won't desensitize and figure out it's really a self-serve buffet. Our back-up plan is to block the sensor and use the open/close buttons.
- Stephanie Ozenne


My problem is: I have a solution that isn't working.

I store my newspaper bags in a King Arthur Flour small flour bucket, which I keep outside, in the front of the house.

The bags never make it out to the bucket, because.....it's too far away, I guess. And it's cold out, etc.

I need to move it indoors.

Clearly.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

You know what else I hoard?

Twist ties.

You can never have too many.

Catherine Johnson said...

oh my god-----

you reminded me

I hoarded those little plastic thingies from bread bags for years.

Finally I threw them out in a semi-organizational binge.

Practically the next week I got the book Tightwad Gazette (something like that) which had a fantastic use for them: you put them on your electric cords and label each cord.

That was about it for me and organization.

To discover one week after I finally pitch the plastic thingies that I have a BURNING NEED FOR LOTS AND LOTS OF SAVED-UP PLASTIC THINGIES.....

You tell me how a person comes back from a thing like that.

Anonymous said...

The greatest mistake I ever made was letting my husband see the Tightwad Gazette.

He wanted me to start washing out Ziploc bags. It shows you how to air them out to dry by mounting little sticks in something and pulling them over to air dry.

I save every twisty I can find, but for some reason I only have 3 or 4 in the drawer. I think the husband doesn't appreciate them as much as ziploc bags.

Catherine Johnson said...

I actually went through a brief phase of washing Ziploc bags thanks to Tightwad Gazette.

Catherine Johnson said...

I am in permanent deficit where little twisty things are concerned.

Anonymous said...

My parents are Depression era parents. I wonder if there's a correlation.