kitchen table math, the sequel: Life-Long Learning.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Life-Long Learning.

Every morning two of my 8th grade students wait for me at the door. They are Chinese girls, smart, polite, accurate and habitually hardworking. They wait for me just to talk, even if they don't have me 1st period. These two are always hungry for lectures and they like how I teach - honey in my ears, because I teach differently, no inquiry/discovery/activities/projects, close to DI model - exactly how I was taught back in my days.

This week 8th graders are taking their Intermediate Level Science Test Part A: Hands-On. I don't care about this test with these kids - I teach them 9th grade curriculum in Living Environment, and in June they will take the Regents exam. However , I prepped the kids for this test in 2 hours.

One of the girls told me today, that her parents gave her 2 options for this summer: a)go back to China and attend a summer school there "because American education sucks" or b)stay here and get a job for the summer, because "you need to learn life". She decided to go back to China, and I agree with it. Go and learn. And compare.

When I was in upper grades in school and in the Vet. School, my father said to me ," This is the time for you to study, use it - to gain knowledge; gain as much as you can because you never know what will be useful later in life, and it's never too much of knowledge." I am grateful to him. By age 21 I graduated from the vet school and got a job. (15 years of schooling - done!)I was married for 3 years by that moment (my husband was also a student) but my parents fully supported us. Of course, I went to college in NYC as well, but it's much more difficult to enjoy and spend time on studying when you need to work, to raise a child, to run the household...

I've got into an argument with my son's teacher recently - she doesn't "require" children to do something specific rather letting them to choose. Of course, my son chooses the easiest books, and NEVER chooses writing as an activity - he doesn't like it and tries to skip it as often as possible. At home, I make him to sit and work on writing, phonics, and math using the Russian math books instead of EM (which is CONTRADICTING with the method of teaching used by Ms. B). She said that by pushing him I kill his joy from learning, and - he is going to be a life-long learner, he has the whole life to learn...
Silly me: I want him to be done with formal schooling by 22 - and earn his living!
Now, is it possible? 5+13+4+2(masters?) =24 That be the optimal case...
What did I have: 6+10+5 =21

10 comments:

Independent George said...

Well, to be fair, I suppose spending an entire lifetime to get a 4th grade education could be considered being a lifelong learner...

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the joys of parallel teaching. Every time I heard something that goofy come out of a teacher's mouth, I went home and started working on the curriculum for that year to afterschool my son. I'm glad I did. I see a lot of kids now getting into trouble due to a lack of basic skills.

Their love of learning will soon be coming to an end.

Tex said...

Well, to be fair, I suppose spending an entire lifetime to get a 4th grade education could be considered being a lifelong learner...

Oh my gosh, I never realized what my school really meant when they established one of the goals was for a graduate to be a “life-long learner” Now I’m really depressed.

Forty-two said...

I would say that you have a fundamentally different view of the goal of education than your son's teacher. One of the tenets of lifelong learning is that it is impossible to "frontload" everything that a person needs to know in their lifetime into the years of compulsory schooling; that is why teachers who adhere to that philosophy place such a high priority on ensuring they have the ability and desire to continue their education once out of school.

While I value giving children a say in their education, I don't think that has to exclude teaching via direct instruction or requiring mastery of fundamental skills.

BeckyC said...

When a child starts first grade, we see it as the first year of twelve long years of schooling. He's got to be in school all day every day, so we don't want the time to be wasted. Life is short.

But his first-grade teacher sees twenty-five children in front of her, and she knows she'll see another twenty-five children next year, and another twenty-five children the year after that. A child is just one twenty-fifth of her class one year.

She will get to reflect on her teaching performance this year in preparation for a do-over next year.

But the child doesn't get to reflect on his learning performance this year in preparation for a do-over next year.

We hope.

My younger son has a first-grade teacher who directs his learning like she knows he will never get this year of his life back. I appreciate that. My older boys had a first-grade teacher who took a very relaxed view of their academic development, which was undeserved. As of this writing, they have not gotten that year of their life back.

Tex said...

Wow, BeckyC – your comment made my heart sink because you articulated the issue in a way I’ve never read.

Teachers get do-overs every year. Children just get one chance.

PaulaV said...

BeckyC,

"My younger son has a first-grade teacher who directs his learning like she knows he will never get this year of his life back."

Yes, that is what sort of teacher I am looking for, but have yet to find!!

For the 2007-2008 school year, my principal wants to hear from parents regarding what sort of teacher we want for our children.

The principal states, "We are happy to hear your thoughts regarding teaching style and manner in regards to what works best for your child. Your input needs to describe your student's needs and NOT mention specific teacher names unless you have already worked with a particular teacher and prefer a different style."

Okay, I need some advice from KTM on this one. I have until June 1st to respond.

I know nothing about fourth grade teachers at our school. I'm trying to ask other parents, but I'm not sure what could it is doing. Responses range from she doesn't give a lot of homework to she doesn't yell. This is not what I am looking for.

So does anyone have any suggestions? If so, I would greatly apppreciate it. I could supply me email address.

--PaulaV

PaulaV said...

I meant to say I could supply my email address. I am typing too fast!

--PaulaV

Anonymous said...

Paula,

Definitely keep asking parents and then ask for a specific teacher citing all of the wonderful things about that teacher and how they'd be GREAT for your kid. Don't hint. Be direct. There are more than likely plenty of parents being as direct.

Definitely consider the homework issue. I didn't listen to my parent friends about this subject and it was a nightmare year because of it. Fourth and fifth grade is when the homework kicks in, but some teachers love the busywork.

PaulaV said...

Thanks Susan!

This is the first year the parents have been asked for their choice of teachers. I can imagine that many parents will be very direct. Many were displeased at the placement this year. I had one teacher tell me that she guaranteed next term would be different. I'm assuming that I was not the only one who complained.

I think the homework issue depends on the teacher, but overall, at least at my school, there doesn't seem to be a lot of homework in fourth or fifth grade. Our principal said she doesn't believe in a lot of homework. I can tell you that my third grader's homework is just busywork.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

--PaulaV