kitchen table math, the sequel: help desk - math survey

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

help desk - math survey

The district has sent middle school parents a survey that needs to be rewritten. Some of the questions are fine, but ... well, you'll see the problem when you read.

The two most wrongheaded questions are these:

4. I am able to comfortably assist my son/daughter with math homework.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree __ Strongly Agree _

11. I believe the math curriculum is preparing my son/daughter for success on the New York State Assessments.
Yes
No

How should I revise this?

What questions would appear on a math survey that asked the questions I want to answer?


9-12 MATH PROGRAM PARENT SURVEY - FALL 2007
(Please return surveys by October 26, 2007)

To assist us in the evaluation of our math program, please take the time to complete this survey. Please return this survey in a sealed envelope to your child's Math teacher.

1. What grade is your son/daughter in school? (Indicate more than one response if appropriate)
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12

2. The District has provided adequate communication regarding the 6-8 math program.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

3. My son/daughter has a positive attitude towards math.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

4. I am able to comfortably assist my son/daughter with math homework.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree __ Strongly Agree _

5. The amount of math homework is acceptable/appropriate.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree_ Strongly Agree _

6. I am regularly apprised of my son/daughter's performance on math assignments and/or assessments.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

7. My son/daughter is adequately challenged in math.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

8. I understand the concept of writing in the content area.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

9. If applicable, enrichment opportunities for math are provided for my son/daughter.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

10. If applicable, remedial assistance in math is provided for my son/daughter.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

11. I believe the math curriculum is preparing my son/daughter for success on the New York State Assessments.
Yes
No

12. I am clear about the expectations that the teacher has for my child in Math.
Yes
No

13. I employ a private math tutor for my son/daughter.
Yes
No

14. I utilize the District web site to learn information about the math curriculum.
Yes
No

15. My feedback about my child's learning strengths and needs in Math is valued.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

16. My participation in my child's learning is valued in this school system.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

17. I think there is evidence that my child's performance in Math is improving over time.
Strongly Disagree _ Disagree _ Agree _ Strongly Agree _

18. What are some examples of this evidence?

19. Please use this space for additional comments.

Thank you for your valuable input!
(Results will be available by November 15th)

9 comments:

SteveH said...

"Thank you for your valuable input!
(Results will be available by November 15th)"

The message is clear. They are in charge and you aren't. This is not about identifying a problem. They know what the problem is.


"What questions would appear on a math survey that asked the questions I want to answer?"

Just one:

If the school provided an alternate math curriculum, such as Saxon or Singapore Math, would you enroll your child?

Anonymous said...

"How should I revise this?"

I think I'd add a question along the lines of, "How many hours per week do you tutor your child or have some other individual or organization (e.g. Kumon) tutor your child?"

The school *Should* want to know this.

-Mark Roulo

PaulaV said...

Catherine,

Do you mind if I use your survey questions?

Things are heating up over here in my county regarding TERC math...some teachers are threatening to quit if the county forces them to do math investigations. Parents are being asked to write the BOE, start a grassroots organization, and write letters to the editors.

I would definitely add Steve's question:

"If the school provided an alternate math curriculum, such as Saxon or Singapore Math, would you enroll your child?"

Catherine Johnson said...

If the school provided an alternate math curriculum, such as Saxon or Singapore Math, would you enroll your child?

perfect

And, absolutely, we need a question about parent reteaching -- they simply assume we should do it.

The school needs to know how much time we're spending teaching.

Should the question about "assisting with homework" be there??

Maybe it should....at the middle school level, most parents will say 'no' I think.

Math Dad - the math teacher - told me most parents stop being able to help with math homework at 4th grade. He said, "I get the call in 5th grade."

I'm sure that's true.

You may remember your math, but you don't know how to teach it.

Anonymous said...

#5 is funny; the answer is a function of the instructor quality, how prepared the student is from prior years, the degree of repetition (i.e. # exercises) the student needs to acheive mastery, the difficulty of the problems, and whether the student has adequate study skills.

#17 & #18 are quite unusual to see on a parent survey. I wonder what the real question is. Perhaps they are wondering if anyone is looking at the state test results? My real write in answer would be that "I can't tell if my child's performance is improving, since a)I cannot see the actual test given in order to tell if child was tested fairly, b)have no syllabus to gauge difficulty of course vs. Regent's grade level suggestions, and c)the course grade only gives 1/3 weight to content assessments. While I appreciate that the instructor is trying to teach study skils and maintain order as well as teach the course content, I would prefer that the course grade be reflective of math knowledge acquired and mastered rather than organizational skills and classroom behavior."

?s I would add:
1) Would you like to see a math study skills class offered? Yes No
2) Would you like to see a double period math class offered? Yes No
3) Would you like to have a math lab period, where students could work with a computer program to master any skills they feel need mastered or get help from a certified math teacher?
4) Is the syllabus and test calendar helpful yes no don't have
5) Is the math curriculum preparing your child for success on the SAT and/or ACT. Yes No Not interested
6) Would a problem solving class be valuable? Yes No

Catherine Johnson said...

#17 & #18 are quite unusual to see on a parent survey. I wonder what the real question is. Perhaps they are wondering if anyone is looking at the state test results?

I have to assume that this is present to gain "good" data. (And btw I'm not sure the school wrote this survey - I think Concerned may have posted a Tri State Consortium survey that sounded a lot like this.)

Parents always say schools are bad, but their schools are good.

The public says Congress is bad, but my rep is good.

etc.

I ALWAYS think my kid is making progress, ALWAYS.

It really is impossible to think that your child is treading water.

LSquared32 said...

I see why you don't like # 11. My reaction to that one is--how would I know, and why do I care? Beyond a minimal passing score, my children's acheivement on the state tests affects only the school, not my children. I know next to nothing about the state tests. Now, I'm a math mom, and I do know if my children are learning math that's going to help them learn algebra or be on track to take calculus someday and stuff like that, but state tests? No idea--and very little interest.

concernedCTparent said...

It sounds like the Tri-State Consortium stuff because.... IT IS!

Irvington is part of the consortium too and after they come to our school to do language, they're coming to yours to do math.

Irvington Tri-State District Visit

Dates: Wednesday - Friday, 7-9 November

Time: 7:45 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Wednesday and Friday; 7:45 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Thursday

Location: Irvington High School, 40 North Broadway, Irvington, NY

Subject: Math K-12

District Coordinator: Greer Fischer

link: http://www.tristateconsortium.org/Intranet/nov7.html

concernedCTparent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.